Common cold is very common disease that frequently occurs and no one can escape easily but only the difference is that someone seriously ill by cold. Even there is no cure for common cold; you can cure the symptoms when it appears. Before your cold get serious and you suffer from bronchitis or pneumonia, it better to take some precautions as soon as possible. For this you don’t have to go up to the pharmacy but can follow some of the domestic tips.
Honey is one of the effective cough suppressants. It helps in soothing an irritate throat. It contains antibacterial, antifungal properties and acts as a natural antiseptic. Also it fights against the virus and bacteria which aid to treat cold.
- Mix one tablespoon honey in a glass of hot water. You can add lemon if you prefer and drink it.
- Eat one teaspoon honey before going to bed.
- If you like to drink milk, add one spoon of honey in hot milk and consume it.
- If you like tea, use one spoon honey in black tea and also you can add lemon.
Lemon contains vitamin C which boosts our immune system. Lemon along with lime and oranges are good source of Vitamin C which helps body tissue grow and heal itself. Also it helps to fight against infections and speedy recovery.
- Drink hot water by adding 2-3 spoons of lemon. If the drink is too citrus then add one spoon of honey.
- Brew black or green tea and add one tablespoon of lemon in a cup of tea. If you prefer add honey as well and drink it.
Turmeric has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties which can be really effective in curing the cold.
- Mix half spoon of turmeric in hot milk and drink it before going to bed. If you don’t like the taste, you can add honey to make it sweet.
- In a pot boil a glass of water put small spoon of turmeric, little grated garlic, little salt and let it boil for a while. Drink this mixture 2 times a day.
Garlic is a natural antibiotics, antifungal and antiviral agent which aid to get rid of cold. Including it in your diet prevent you from getting sick in first place. Garlic increases the immune system as well as helps to detoxify your body. Eat raw or roasted garlic or use it in your food. You can also make garlic soup. Boil few garlic cloves and drink it. You can add honey if you prefer.
Ginger is a natural antiviral and contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which boost the immune system. It has also curative properties as it can reduce fever and pain naturally.
- Grate ginger about 10 gram and boil with a cup of water. Drink this 2-3 times a day.
- Add little grated ginger in your tea and boil for a while. Add lemon and honey in it and drink it.
- Include ginger in your diet. Add a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste in your soup or curry.
- In case of wet cough, slightly roast a slice of ginger and eat it. You can also just grasp in your mouth for a while.
6. Nasal therapy
In case of blocked nose, it is better to use nasal therapy at home rather than using nasal spray. It is natural way and without side-effect.
Warm the water and mix some salt in it. Pour it in a glass. Pour little water in your palm so that you can hold water. Using your nose suck the water. Repeat the process for both sides. Be sure that water is not too hot to burn your palm and nose.
7. Hot steam therapy
In case of nose block, sneezing and headache (because of cold) having hot steam is very effective. If you have facial steamer, there won’t be any problem. If you don’t have steamer, boil water in big mouth pot. When it boils, take a pot to your convenient place and take steam. Cover your head and pot with towel so that steam won’t escape easily. In both cases, use it for around 10 minutes or longer if you wish. But don’t do it continuously, take breaks.
8. Oil massage
Body massage is always relax and relief your body. If you had cold and your ache then, hot oil massage is most important. First warm around required amount of body oil (or olive oil). Make it little hot. Using both hands, rub in your body, cover every part: hands, legs, back, shoulders. If you don’t like to massage your whole body, just massage the parts which hurt more.
If you are suffering from sore throat or cough, gargling is the best way of instance relief. Boil a cup of water. When it cools little, and then add half spoon of salt in it. Do the gargling but don’t swallow the water after gargling, spit the water. Continue the process and do it twice a day.
10. Hot liquids
Traditional way of cold remedy is having warm liquids which may be tea, coffee, milk, chicken soup or water. Liquids prevents you from dehydration ease your cold congestion. It will also restore strength in your weak body.
Follow these homemade remedies and keep your body warm. These will relief you from the most common disease in the world i.e. Common Cold. If cold persist for longer time and you still fell sick don’t delay to consult your doctor.