Pigmentation or hyper-pigmentation is a skin related disorder which is also known as Melasma. It is having ugly patches of dark skin on the face or other body parts like arms, neck, legs etc. It occurs due to excessive production of melanin in our body due to sun damage. Sometime it occurs due to hormonal issues, pregnancy, menstruation, emotional stress, and drugs consumption. Also it is caused by Acne, pollution, unhealthy snacking, aging and so on.
Lemon is well known astringent which has natural bleaching properties. It hydrates the skin and removes all the dead skin cells immediately upon application. Lemon also has high vitamin C which protects the skin from harmful UV damage and lightens dark spots. It also absorb excessive oil very quickly.
- Squeeze one lemon in a small bowl.
- Add 2 spoons of honey in it and mix well.
- Apply the mixture in your face or affected skin and leave it for around 20 minutes.
- Wash off with normal water.
- Do this daily for better result.
2. Raw potatoes
Potatoes contain an enzyme called catecholase which has the ability to lighten the skin tone. Potatoes are packed with a range of vitamin, minerals, essential fatty acids and phytochemicals. It helps to exfoliate your skin and removes dead cells from skin’s surface. It also helps in skin cell renewal.
- Cut thick slices of potatoes and rub in the pigmented skin.
- Wash off with lukewarm water after 10 minutes.
- You can also mix the lemon with it.
Turmeric is the excellent anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and exfoliating agent. It also maintains pH levels of the skin. Turmeric helps to make the skin vibrant and clear of blemishes. Antioxidant properties of turmeric help to fight off the oxidative damage done by free radicals insulting those resulting from harmful sun rays.
- Mix ¼ tablespoon of turmeric with 3 spoons of gram flour and ½ spoon of lemon juice.
- If your face is dry, add ½ spoon of olive oil or almond oil.
- Mix it well and make a consistent paste and apply the mask in your face.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and clean it by slightly rubbing with wet finger in the pigmented skin.
- Do it for 5 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is rich in mucilaginous polysaccharides which make its good exfoliating agent. Its gel promotes regeneration of new skin cells by sloughing off the dead cells thus giving lighter and spotless skin. It cleans the skin without disturbing its natural balance and protect from the damage caused by UV radiation. Thus your skin glows with natural radiance.
- Apply the aloe gel in the affected body part. Leave for 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. You can apply in the night and wash in the morning. If possible repeat it every night.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and ½ spoon of honey. Apply in the affected skin. After 20 minutes wash off with lukewarm water. Do it thrice a week.
5. Fruits mask
Use papaya,banana and cucumber to make face mask. Papaya contains papain enzyme which has wonderful exfoliating properties. Banana as well works as a natural exfoliator that cleanses the skin. These break down the dead skin cells and encourage new cell growth which helps to treat skin pigmentation. Cucumber is known to rejuvenate the skin and improve its complexion. It can also be used to treat freckles and blemishes.
- Grate each individual fruit separately and squeeze to extract juice. In case of banana mash it. Apply this juice/paste in your skin. Wash off after 15-20 minutes with lukewarm water.. You can also add lemon and honey to it.
- Mix extracts or juice of all fruits and add honey. Apply the paste and leave for 20 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water.
6. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has astringent properties that help restore skin’s natural color. It also contains beta-carotene which treats the skin damage caused by the free radicals. It naturally makes the skin suppler and brighter. You should be little while using vinegar as it is acidic and may damage the skin.
- Mix equal proportions of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Use this solution in the affected area.
- Just leave it for 2-3 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm mater.
- Follow this remedy every day until you notice the changes.
Almonds are great source of vitamin E which is also known as the skin vitamin. Vitamin E is a good antioxidant which helps to neutralize the harmful effects of UV rays and helps repair damaged skin. This is a mild bleaching agent as well as a good scrubbing agent when used as a coarse paste.
- Soak the handful of almonds overnight.
- Remove the skin and grind it using milk and make a paste.
- Apply the mask in the affected skin.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it.
- You can add honey in the paste if you like.
Sandalwood works as a stimulant and blood purifier so it is widely used to treat skin pigmentation in Asia. It has cicatrisant properties which can heal wounded skin and can also make scar tissue as well as other marks on skin disappear. Its wood as well as oil both is equally beneficial.
- Mix 4 teaspoons of sandalwood powder with ½ spoon of lemon and make a paste. Apply it on the affected areas and leave it for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm. You can use milk instead of lemon as well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder and few tablespoons of milk. Make a paste and apply on the skin. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
9. Tomato, yogurt and oatmeal mask
Tomato has leaching properties and makes it a good natural lightening agent. Face masks made from tomatoes can help rejuvenate the skin. Oatmeal is a good exfoliating agent and also provides nutrients to the skin. Yogurt contains lactic acid which tightens the skin and reduces blemishes. Mixture of these three ingredients is great for reducing pigmentation.
- Mix all the ingredients and make a paste.
- Apply it and leave for 20 minutes or till it dries out.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
Avocado is rich in fatty acid, vitamin C and oleic acid which make it an ideal remedy for hyper-pigmentation. They are great for skin rejuvenation and healing. There are also a number of enzymes present in the fruit that help reduce skin pigmentation. They maintain the firmness of the skin as well as nourish the skin from within. But do a patch test before applying as some people can have allergies due to latex enzymes.
- Mash 1/2 ripe avocado and mix with 2 teaspoon of honey and 1 spoon of milk.
- Make a paste and apply this is in your skin.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off with warm water.