Hair fall is one of the most common problems we face today. Hair fall is common in both men and women. The medical term for hair loss is called as Alopecia. There is lack of knowledge about the wonderful and simple ways through which we can treat the condition.
Causes of Hair Fall
Hair fall can be caused by a number of factors. These include:
- Inadequate protein intake
- Hormonal changes
- Prolonged illness
- Deficiency of vitamin B6 and folic acid
- Chemical hair products
- Physical or emotional stress
There are about 100,000 strands of hair on your scalp and it is considered very normal to lose 50 to 100 strands a day. When hair is washed, people can lose up to 250 strands of hair. The hair grows about half an inch per month. About 90 % of a person’s hair will be in the growth phase at any given time. Another 10 % will be in the dormant stage and after 2-3 months these dormant hairs falls out.
When hair loss starts it’s time for you to take some action so it doesn’t progress to baldness or bald spots. You don’t need to go far, look around your home for its remedies.
Here are 10 natural remedies for hair loss:
1. Oil massage
Hair fall begins when hair don’t get proper nourishment. Primary step to control is to massage hair scalp with hair oil. Proper hair and scalp massage will increase blood flow to the hair follicles, condition the scalp, and enhance the strength of your hair’s roots. It will also promote relaxation and reduce feelings of stress.
Use hair oils like coconut or almond oil, olive oil, castor oil, gooseberry oil, or others. Apply any of this oil in your scalp and massage properly using light pressure. Keep it overnight and wash off next day. Repeat this weekly.
2. Onion Juice
Onion juice helps treat hair loss due to its high sulfur content, which helps improve blood circulation to the hair follicles, regenerate hair follicles and reduce inflammation. Onion has antibacterial properties that can eliminate the bacteria and parasite that can cause scalp infections which cause hair loss. Sulfur is also known to treat infected hair follicles
- Grate the onion and extract its juice and apply it directly to your scalp using cotton ensuring the hair strands are covered from the root to the tip. Leave it on for about 30 minutes and rinsed it with shampoo.
3. FenugreekFenugreek is highly effective in treating hair loss. Fenugreek seeds contain hormone antecedents that enhance hair growth and help rebuild hair follicles. They make hair shiny, strong, and long. They also contain proteins and nicotinic acid that stimulate hair growth.
- Soak one cup of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Grind them to make a paste. Apply the paste to your hair and cover with a shower cap. After about 40 minutes, rinse your hair. Do this at least three times a week.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera plays a crucial role in balancing the pH levels of the scalp and hair which can greatly promote hair growth. It penetrates deep into the scalp and hair, thereby promoting hair growth. Regular use can also relieve scalp itching, reduce scalp redness and inflammation, add strength and luster to hair, and alleviate dandruff. Both aloe vera gel and juice will work.
- Extract the pulp content from the leaf or stalk and rub into your clean hair. Massage the pulp into your scalp in circular motions. Leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then rinse with cold water.
5. Beetroot juice
Beetroot juice contains carbohydrates, protein, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and vitamins B and C. All these nutrients are essential for healthy hair growth.
- Include fresh beetroot juice in your diet. In addition to that, spinach juice, alfalfa juice, lettuce juice, or carrot juice will help keep your hair healthy.
- Grind a few beetroot leaves (boiled in water) along with henna and apply the paste on your scalp. Leave it on for 1 hour before rinsing it out. Repeat several times a week.
6. Indian gooseberry
Indian gooseberry also known as Amla in Asia is rich in vitamin C, a nutrient essential for the growth and strengthening of hair. Vitamin C also helps build collagen that is vital for hair growth. Apart from this, vitamin C also helps absorb iron, thereby keeping your locks strong and healthy. Indian gooseberry also helps prevent premature graying of hair.
The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and the exfoliating properties present in Indian gooseberry can help maintain a healthy scalp and promote hair growth.
- Mix one tablespoon each of Indian gooseberry pulp and lemon juice. Massage your scalp with the mixture thoroughly. Cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for 2-3 hours and shampoo your hair in the morning
7. Egg white
Egg white is rich in protein, B vitamins and essential nutrients for optimum hair health. It can nourish the hairs in the best way, promoting smooth & shiny hair. This treatment is very effective to control hair fall in case the hair fall is triggered due to lack of nourishment and dryness of the hairs.
- Take two egg whites and mix it thoroughly till you get a thick and even consistency. Apply the egg white to your scalp and hair using a hair dye brush. Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Then, rinse with cool water followed by a mild shampoo. Repeat this every week.
8. Coconut milk
Coconut milk is rich in protein, vitamin E and fats that help to moisturize your hair and keep it healthy. This promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss. The milk is rich in potassium, another vital ingredient for hair growth. It also has antibacterial properties that protect the hair from damage.
- Apply coconut milk to your scalp using a hair dye brush. Then cover your head with a towel and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Remove the towel and rinse your hair with cold water and wash with shampoo. You can ideally prepare coconut milk at home by grinding the grated coconut and squeezing its milk.
9. Chinese Hibiscus
Chinese hibiscus contains vitamin C, phosphorous, and riboflavin, the essential nutrients for smooth and strong hair. The flower also contributes to toxin elimination and promotes circulation, thereby enhancing hair growth. In addition to promoting hair growth, this flower can also be used to cure dandruff, prevent split ends, thicken hair and prevent premature graying.
- Add 10 Chinese Hibiscus flowers to two cups of coconut oil. Heat the solution until charred. Strain it to collect the oil. Apply the oil on your hair before going to bed. Wash your hair in the morning. Repeat this a twice a week
10. Omega-3 rich foods
Omega-3 provides nourishment to follicles which not only prevent hair loss but promote its growth. They can easily reach your hair scalp and cell membranes deep into your scalp. Secondly, they also make your hair more elastic so that they do not break easily. They also cure dry itchy skin, thus preventing dandruff.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 such as Flaxseed, walnuts, salmon, sardines, soybeans.
- Consume omega-3 tablet or flaxseed oil or fish oil regularly.