Mild and ordinary body odors are normal but prolonged odor is sickly embarrassing. Because of this feel unconfident about meeting new people and stay away from intimate relationships. Strong and unpleasant odor originate from the body when the sweat glands are overactive. Many of us often conclude that it is caused by excessive sweating. But it is not sweat that causes body odor. The unpleasant odor occurs when sweat mixes with bacteria. The bacteria that cause odor grow quickly in a warm, moist environment.
Causes of body odor
- Poor hygiene
- Nutrient deficiencies,
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Genetic metabolic disorders
We should know how important it is to keep your body smelling good and fresh all day long. Here are some natural home remedies to get rid of body odor.
1. Keep your body clean
To remove body odor have shower daily. Use anti-bacteria soaps that will not only wash away your sweats, but also keep your body free from bacteria. Remember that it perfectly alright to sweat as long as the bacteria in your skin are killed. Make sure to soap bacteria prone areas such as neck, armpits, private areas and feet.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very effective to control body smell. It is a powerful bacteria-fighting ingredient. It also helps eliminate body odor by balancing the pH level of your skin so that the odor causing bacteria cannot thrive. By using vinegar you would feel fresh for the whole day without worrying about your body odor. It contains an intense anti-ceptic property which prevents the skin from emitting odors. But be careful while using it, Side effects may be triggered for sensitive skin, so test before using vinegar.
- Pour some apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Dip a cotton ball in it and wipe your underarms. You may rinse off when you take your shower.
- You can also add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar along with a little honey to a glass of warm water. Drink it three times daily before eating your meals.
3. Baking Soda
Baking Soda can absorb sweat and reduce body odor by reducing moisture from the skin. It also kills bacteria and works like a natural deodorant.
- Mix one tablespoon baking soda and lemon juice. Apply it to your underarms and other body parts where you sweat excessively. Leave it on for a couple of minutes and wash it off with water; do not scrub. Then take a shower or bath. Do this once daily for a few weeks.
- Mix equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch. Apply it directly onto your dry underarms to prevent sweating as well as bad odor. Use this remedy when you need protection for several hours.
4. Tea Tree oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial as well as antiseptic properties to kill bacteria present on the skin and eliminate body odor. This oil has a sweet smell too. Also being an astringent, tea tree oil controls sweating. Tea tree oil is very effective against armpit smell. Its anti-bacterial properties ward off the harmful bacteria. So applying this oil to eliminate body odor makes sense. But be careful or avoid using it if you have highly sensitive skin
- Dab cotton in tea tree oil and directly in your armpits and feet.
- Add two drops of tea tree oil in one cup of water and mix well. Fill it in a spray bottle and use it as a regular deodorant to prevent odor.
5. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel acts as a natural sterilizer. It can lower the skin’s pH level and make it impossible for odor-causing bacteria to survive. It also has astringent properties which contract skin pores and help reduce the production of sweat. It will work like an antiperspirant. In the absence of odor producing bacteria, you will get relief from your body odor.
- Soak the cotton ball in witch hazel. Dab on this witch hazel on cotton under your arms instead of your regular deodorant.
- Fill spray bottle with witch hazel and use it whenever you feel like.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains citric acid, an active ingredient that makes your skin acidic when applied. The acidic property of lemon juice helps lower the skin’s pH level, which in turn makes it difficult for odor-producing bacteria to survive. Lemon is natural bleach that helps in removing suntan too. In addition to all these benefits, it can be used by even those who cannot tolerate vinegar
- Slice a lemon and rub it gently on your armpits.
- Apply juice from 1-2 fresh lemons. Apply it directly under your arms to remove bad smell and darkness. If you have sensitive skin, you can dilute the juice from half a lemon in one-half cup of water and apply. Wash off after 10 minutes.
- Add some lemon juice in a cup of water. Use it as a natural spray or deodorant under your arms.
7. Rosemary Herb
Rosemary contains menthol and chlorophyll which helps immensely to prevent the growth of odor causing bacteria. It acts as a natural deodorant that reduces strong body odor and also lends a nice fragrance to your body. The presence of zinc in it also aids to reduce bad smell of our body. It is more beneficial when used topically.
- Add one-half cup of dried rosemary leaves to four cups of hot water. Allow it to steep for 10 minutes, and then add it to your bath water. Soak in this bath water for 15 to 20 minutes and pat dry.
- Mix eight to 10 drops of rosemary essential oil in one ounce of water and apply it under your arms as a deodorant.
8. Tomato Juice
Tomato is considered to be a natural antiseptic and it can kill an extensive range of bacteria. They also help shrink pores and reduce sweating. It recommends using tomato juice in bath water. However, many modern herbalists recommend having tomato juice internally too for getting rid of body odor.
- Crush the tomatoes to get their pulp and extract juice from it. Add this tomato juice to a bucket full of water. Bathe with this water.
9. Turnip Juice
Turnips have antibacterial properties that help kill odor-causing bacteria. Plus, they are a good source of vitamin C. It’s the Vitamin C does all the magic. It controls and eliminates the growth of bacteria and thus prevent odor. On the daily basis, consume turnip juice orally or apply it externally to get rid of personal odor.
- Make a paste of 2-3 turnips and extract the juice. Apply this juice to your underarms and groin area. Allow it to dry on its own, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This remedy keeps you free from body odor for at least 10 hours.
10. Wheatgrass Juice
The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass is what makes it a good remedy for killing body odor. Chlorophyll has a deodorizing effect. However, due to its strong taste, it sometimes gives nauseating feeling to first time users. So start with small amounts and have it on empty stomach to avoid any overreaction. Wheatgrass contains a lot of chlorophyll that it also helps eliminate toxins.
Mix one or two tablespoons of wheatgrass juice in one cup of water. Drink it on an empty stomach in the morning. Do this every morning.
These are few remedies to get rid of body odor. Follow these remedies and stick to at least one remedy until you get desired result.