Dry skin is problematic in winter but even in other season dryness occur. It became flaky in the winter time. Cold, dry winter air sucks the life out of silky, smooth skin.
Other factors that contribute to dry skin include Lack of moisture in the air, aging, Use of harsh beauty products, nutritional deficiencies, and a genetic predisposition.
There are many products in the market to combat dry skin. Home-based products are made up of natural ingredients and they are always safe to use. Natural remedies are cheap as well as effective in nourishing and hydrating dry skin back to a healthy state. To add more, making a moisturizer at home is absolutely easy. You just require some common types of homely ingredients to get it ready for use.
Here are 10 natural remedies for dry skin.
1. Olive oil
Olive oil contains many antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that are good for your skin. It has moisturizing properties, which nourish your skin. The presence of polyphenols in olive oil also helps counteract the damage caused by the sun. It can soothe and condition dry skin all over your body.
- Massage the olive oil in your skin and wipe off the excess oil with a washcloth.
- Dab a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil under your regular moisturizer. About a half an hour before taking a shower, rub some olive oil on your hands, legs and other areas with dry skin and massage lightly. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
Avocado pulp is rich in natural oils that moisturize your skin. Avocado is packed with fatty acids, vitamins A and E, and antioxidants that help improve skin from the inside. The high vitamin A content also helps in skin maintenance and repair to restore smooth and silky skin.
- Mash the pulp of an avocado into a smooth paste. Rub the paste all over your dry skin. Let it sit on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. Repeat the process once daily.
- Mash the avocado and add honey to make smooth paste. Apply the pack on your face, and keep it on for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. DO this once a week.
Yogurt is an excellent skin-hydrating agent. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which help soothe dry and itchy skin. Yogurt contains lactic acid that exfoliates your skin and treats dryness. The mild exfoliating action of yogurt will remove dry skin and leave your skin refreshed without damaging your skin.
- Apply fresh yogurt on your hands, face and legs and gently massaging it into your skin. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then take a bath or shower. Do this once daily.
- Add the yogurt to the honey, and add the granulated sugar to it. Apply the scrub all over your face, and massage in gentle circular motions for a few minutes. Keep the scrub on for five minutes, and then rinse it with cold water. The sugar removes any flakiness, while the honey hydrates your skin.
Milk contains the lactic acid that exfoliates dead skin cells and increases the skin’s ability to retain moisture. It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that greatly help get rid of dry and itchy skin. It also helps lighten your complexion.
- Rub cold milk all over your face and body. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash your body with cold water. You can also add few drops of rose water to it.
- Soak a washcloth in cold milk and put the cloth on your dry skin for 5-7 minutes. Gently wash off the milk with another cloth soaked in lukewarm water. This way this natural moisturizer will remain on your skin. Do this every other day.
5. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is really good for treating dry skin. It has a good amount of fatty acids that make up for any loss of moisture from the skin. It deep conditions your skin, leaving it smooth and supple. Coconut is fantastic home remedy for dry and flaking skin which helps the skin to stay hydrated.
- Apply warm coconut oil all over your body before going to sleep. Next morning wash it off. Do this daily to make your skin soft and smooth.
- After having shower, apply coconut oil on your dry skin. When the skin become warm and supple from your bath, coconut oil is more readily absorbed. Do this daily.
Honey has always been an important part of skin care. Honey is considered one of the best natural moisturizers loaded with antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. Honey can help combat dry skin and conditions associated with it. It is a natural humectant, so it keeps your skin moisturized.
- Rub honey all over your body and leave it on for five to 10 minutes. After it have a shower. Repeat daily to enjoy well-moisturized skin.
- Measure out equal parts of unprocessed honey, beeswax, and olive oil. Melt the beeswax in a small pan over low heat. Remove it from the heat and mix in the honey and then the olive oil. Apply this mixture all over your body and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then take a shower. Repeat daily or every other day.
7. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has soothing, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that can help combat dry, irritated skin and prevent flaking. Aloe helps to re-hydrate the skin and also naturally reduces redness and inflammation. This simple remedy will moisturize your skin and form a protective layer that will keep your skin free from any kind of impurities.
- Break off a leaf from an aloe vera plant and rub the clear, sticky sap all over your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse off. Repeat this daily.
Glycerin is sweet-tasting and non-toxic liquid. It is widely used as humectant in pharmaceutical formulations for varied usage. Hydrate your skin with glycerin, as it helps your skin to absorb and retain moisture.
- Mix glycerin with equal amount of lemon juice and rose water. Apply it all over your skin in the evening. Wash off next morning. Do this daily. You can store this mixture in a bottle in your refrigerator. Apply it regularly every day.
9. Milk cream
Dryness can cause your skin to turn flaky. The lactic acid present in milk cream helps exfoliate dry skin. The soothing nature of milk cream also helps preserve the skin’s delicate pH levels. Milk cream is also an excellent moisturizer which leaves skin smooth and supple. You can milk cream with sour cream as well.
- Add the milk cream to the gram flour to make a paste. Apply the mask on clean skin. Keep it on for 20 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Mix a few drops of lemon juice, one teaspoon of milk and two teaspoons of milk cream. Rub it on your hands and legs. Leave it on for a while before you take a shower. Do this once daily.
10. Petroleum jelly
It is best home remedy for all types of skin conditions that erupt because of dry skin. Petroleum jelly has hydrating properties. Petroleum jelly is very emollient and actually forms a barrier that prevents moisture from evaporating from the surface of the skin. It is also a cheap and cheerful option for treating dry skin on a budget.
- Apply petroleum jelly at night. After you put on a layer of your regular moisturizer apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to seal everything in.
- Apply petroleum jelly on your hands and feet before bed. Cover them with cotton gloves and socks to promote absorption and prevent the jelly from rubbing off on your sheets.