Low blood pressure, also known as hypotension occurs when blood pressure falls below the normal pressure level, which is 120/80 mmHg. People with low BP may experience symptoms of dizziness fainting as the blood flow to the brain and other vital organs become insufficient. Consequently, these vital organs cannot function properly, and they may suffer from damage that could be temporary or even permanent.
Causes of Low Blood Pressure
- Heart Problems
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Endocrine problems
- Blood loss
- Severe infection
The proper treatment for this condition depends on the exact cause, but here are some simple home remedies to increase blood pressure.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for low blood pressure.
Low blood pressure can accompany dehydration, so you may be able to raise your blood pressure by increasing your water intake. Drink at least 8-10 glass of water daily.
- Health drinks with electrolytes can also help raise blood pressure, but avoid drinks with high sugar content.
Salt water helps treat low blood pressure because the sodium in salt increases blood pressure. Intake of salt helps to replace the electrolytes lost due to dehydration. Do not overdo this remedy as excess salt can prove to be unhealthy.
- Simply mix one-half teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and drink it. You can also drink sports beverages.
- A glass of lemon juice with a little salt and sugar would be ideal.
Coffee, hot chocolate, cola, or any caffeinated beverage can also temporarily increase your blood pressure. Caffeine constricts blood vessels, which can increase blood pressure. Increasing your caffeine intake by a moderate amount can help raise your blood pressure. If you frequently suffer from low blood pressure, drink a cup of coffee in the morning or have it along with meals. But, do not make it a habit because high consumption may cause side effects.
Chocolate contains caffeine, a stimulant that can temporarily raise blood pressure. Chocolate raise your blood pressure to a greater degree than if you have normal blood pressure. The dark chocolate is rich in flavanoids that help to enhance the functioning of the blood vessels. Cocoa beans also contain antioxidants, which greatly help the body. When you suffer from low blood pressure, gently bite on a couple of pieces of dark chocolate
Raw beetroot juice is helpful in dealing with high as well as low blood pressure. Beetroot is a rich source of iron. Iron helps in the manufacture of hemoglobin, which in turn helps the oxygen in the blood to be transported more efficiently to the brain, and the other organs of the body.
For hypotension, drink a cup of beetroot juice twice daily for about one week. Other natural fruit juices are also considered helpful in this regard.
Raisins are a traditional Ayurvedic remedy that is considered excellent for treating hypotension naturally. Regular intake of raisin will help to maintain the normal blood pressure levels by supporting with the adrenal glands functionality.
- Soak 30 to 40 raisins in a cup of water overnight. Eat them in the morning on an empty stomach. Chew them one by one. You can also drink the water in which the raisins were soaked.
7. Holy basil leaves
Holy basil is very beneficial for low blood pressure. It is rich in vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, and pantothenic acid which help to stabilize the blood pressure. It also helps balance the mind and reduces stress to get normal blood pressure.
- Extract the juice of 10 to 15 basil leaves. Add one teaspoon of honey to it. Drink this juice daily on an empty stomach.
- Chew four to five basil leaves daily in the morning.
This is another traditional home remedy for low blood pressure. Almond along with milk is very effective in treating low blood pressure. This raises the blood pressure by acting up on the adrenal glands and stabilizes the blood pressure
- Soak five to six almonds in water overnight. In the morning, peel off the skin and grind the almonds into a smooth paste. Add in a glass of milk and boil. Drink warm in the morning.
9. Licorice Root
Licorice root is very useful for normalizing low blood pressure caused by low levels of cortisol. Glycyrrhizin is an active ingredient in licorice root in which it is a sweet tasting compound and acts similar to steroid. It blocks the enzyme that breaks down cortisol and supports healthy adrenalin function. It is also effective in curing chronic fatigue syndrome
- Steep one teaspoon of licorice root (dried or powdered) in a cup of boiling water for about five minutes. You can take it daily for a few days.
- You can take about 400-500 mg of licorice root capsules for a few days.
10. Vitamin B12 and folate
When the body is not getting enough of vitamin B – 12 or folate then it causes anemia and as a result the blood pressure will drop tremendously. These vitamins contribute to a healthy blood pressure function and circulation.
Fortified cereal contains both minerals. Some other sources of B12 include fish and dairy products such a cheese, milk, and yogurt. Folate can be found in dark green vegetables such as broccoli and spinach. Aniseeds has good source of some essential B, complex vitamins such as riboflavin, pyridoxine, thiamin and niacin.