Irregular periods are medically known as oligomenorrhea. The normal cycle usually runs from 21 to 35 days. However, with irregular periods, infrequent periods can occur, which have an interval of over 35 days. Women have 11 to 13 periods per year, but those suffering from oligomenorrhea may have fewer than 6 or 7 periods.
There are several causes of irregular periods like eating disorders, significant weight loss or gain, anemia, menopause, thyroid disorders, hormonal imbalance, recent birth or miscarriage, polycystic ovarian syndrome, uterine abnormalities as well as lifestyle triggers like increased exercise, smoking, alcohol abuse, caffeine, travel, stress, and certain medications and birth control pills can also contribute to this problem.
Menstrual cycles tend to be irregular during the first few years after menstruation starts and also at the end of a woman’s menstrual years, when she is approaching menopause.
To treat this condition, there are some home remedies for irregular periods. These home remedies for irregular periods aim to promote normal menstrual cycle. Here are 10 home remedies.
Turmeric is rich in anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties, which are effective in relieving menstrual cramps. It aid in regulating menstruation and is also good in balancing hormones. Turmeric root is also loaded with emmenagogue properties which stimulates the menstrual flow.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder with the lukewarm milk. Take this mixture every day, until you see improvement. You can mix with honey or jiggery instead of milk as well.
2. Ginger and honey
Ginger is highly beneficial in regulating menstrual cycles and relieves women from the unbearable pain. It is effective in women suffering with scanty or delayed periods.
- Boil one-half teaspoon of freshly ground ginger in a cup of water for five to seven minutes. Drink this three times a day after meals. You can add sugar or honey for taste. Do this daily.
3. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds can aid in regulating irregular periods. Fennel seed contains emmenagogue substance, which can promote menstruation. It also relieves cramping associated with premenstrual syndrome due to its antispasmodic properties. Moreover, it helps rebalance female sex hormones.
- Soak two tablespoons of fennel seeds in a glass of water overnight. Next morning, strain the solution and drink it. Repeat this daily till your period become regular.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera helps treat menstrual irregularities naturally. Aloe vera can boost the production of hormones that are responsible for menstruation and can also help in having regular menstrual cycle. The amazing healing properties of this mixture can cure many disorders.
Note: Don’t consume it during your menstruation.
- Squeeze out fresh pulp from 2-3 aloe leaves and boil it till the color of gel turns brown. After it cools down, take one tbsp. with a cup of water. Have it early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Mix in one teaspoon of honey to the fresh aloe vera gel. Consume it daily before having your breakfast.
5. Unripe papaya
Green, unripe papaya works as a potent emmenagogue and it can normalize any irregular periods. It helps contract muscle fibers in the uterus which is useful in regulating menstrual flow. Unripe papaya is very beneficial for any delayed period that is associated with stress or menopause.
Drink unripe papaya juice or eat chopped papaya for a few months. Do not drink it during your periods. It is best consumed before the menstrual cycle.
Cinnamon is considered useful for regulating menstrual cycles and reducing menstrual cramps. It also has hydroxychalcone, which is effective in regulating insulin and can affect the menstrual regularly. It is believed to have a warming effect on the body.
- Take a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and add it to a glass of milk. Drink this daily for a couple of weeks.
- You can also drink cinnamon tea, sprinkle cinnamon powder on your foods, or chew cinnamon sticks frequently.
7. Sesame seeds
Sesame seeds are useful in regulating menstrual cycles as they help balance your hormones. They are loaded with lignans that help bind excess hormones. Plus, they contain essential fatty acids that promote optimal hormone production.
- Roast a handful of sesame seeds. Consume one teaspoon of this powder every day on an empty stomach, two weeks before your periods begin.You can add jaggery powder as well.
Note: Do not use this remedy during your periods.
8. Fresh fruit and vegetable
Fruit and vegetable and their juices can also aid in boosting menstrual periods. Grape juice and carrot juice are the best juices for reducing risk of irregular periods. Grapes are also considered useful for regularizing irregular periods. Carrots are the good source of iron and regulate proper functioning of the hormone. Besides these have bitter gourd, parsley, radish, sugarcane juice for regular menstruation.
9. Coriander seeds
Coriander (Cilantro) seeds or leaves have emmenagogue properties which help to promote menstruation and stimulate menstrual flow as well.
- Boil one teaspoon of coriander seeds in two cups of water until the quantity of water reduces to one cup. Strain the seeds from the liquid. Drink this three times daily for a few days prior to your period. Do this for a few months.
10. Vitamin C
Having vitamin C is very beneficial if your periods do not occur in 30 or 35 days. It helps in the production of estrogen that builds the uterine lining that handles your periods. Include orange, apple, tomatoes, berries, etc. in your diet.
Note – Large dosage of vitamin C is not suggested for pregnant women as it may cause miscarriage.