The occurrence of white hair with old age is obvious. But premature graying of hair in 20’s or 30’s is absolutely disheartening. Basically, strands of hair turn white or gray due to low amounts of melanin, the pigment that gives your hair its natural color. The melanocyte activity slows down with age and the body gradually stops producing melanin. When there is a significant reduction in the melanin, the hair turns gray. When there is absolutely no melanin present, it turns white.
- Chemical hair products
- Deficiency of Melanin
Instead of using commercial and chemical based hair colors, try some natural home remedies which is cheap as well as no side effects. Beside this, eat a healthy and nutritious diet. Deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B, iron, copper, and iodine can contribute to this problem.
Here are 10 home remedies to treat premature graying of hairs.
A lot of the colorants use chemicals and harmful dyes. Henna works as a wonderful natural hair colorant. It helps to make your hair darker as well as it will strengthen and condition your lustrous locks. It is completely natural and can impart reddish brown shade to your hair without causing any harm. Adding coffee grounds can make the shade browner.
- Prepare a henna hair mask by mixing hot black coffee and henna powder until you get a yogurt-consistency. Cover the bowl and let it sit for a few hours. Apply it to your hair, leave it on for one to three hours, and then wash your hair.
- Grind a handful of henna leaves into a paste. Add three teaspoons of Indian gooseberry powder, one teaspoon of coffee powder, and a little plain yogurt. Spread it evenly on your hair. After it dries, rinse it out and then shampoo your hair as usual. Repeat the process once every 2 to 4 weeks.
- Boil some henna leaves in coconut oil or mustard oil until the leaves become charred, and use this oil on your hair.
2. Indian gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, or Amla, is excellent for a variety of hair problems including premature graying, dull and damaged hair, and hair loss. It has a rich reserve of vitamin C that is an antioxidant, which has anti-aging benefits and revitalizes the pigmentation in your hair. It also works as a hair tonic and gives shining black hair. Apart from reducing grey hair, this also facilitates healthy hair growth.
- Mix one tablespoon each of Indian gooseberry pulp and lemon juice. Massage your scalp with it at night before going to bed and wash it out the next morning.
- Put some coconut oil in a pan. Boil a few dried Indian gooseberry pieces or powder in the oil until they become charred. Let the oil cool. Apply the oil on your hair and scalp. Leave it on overnight, or at least for an hour, before rinsing it out. Do this at least once or twice a week.
- Mix powdered gooseberry with lemon juice and apply it on your hair. Apply it on your scalp as well. Massaging the scalp with this mixture will make your hair black in few days. Do this on a daily basis for best results.
3. Onion juice
Onion juice is believed to be a brilliant home remedy for thinning hair and premature graying. According to research, gray hair is chiefly caused by a buildup of hydrogen peroxide at the base of the hair follicles and a decrease in a natural antioxidant compound, called catalase. Onion juice promotes the production of catalase. It is also helps to hair growth and in preventing premature graying, hair loss and baldness.
- Apply onion juice onto your scalp, massage, and leave it on for about 30 minutes to an hour. Repeat the process daily for at least 6 weeks.
4. Curry leaves
Curry leaves help increase darker pigmentation in your hair. Curry leaves have a natural pigment that helps in retaining the natural hair color and bring back the pigmentation of the hair. Curry leaves stimulate the hair follicles to produce melanin, which gives your hair its color. More melanin production results in the prevention of white hair.
- Boil a handful of fresh curry leaves in a tablespoon of coconut oil until they become charred. Strain the oil. Massage it into your hair. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes before rinsing it out. Follow this treatment at least once or twice a week.
- You can consume curry leaves juice daily.
- Mix half a cup of both curry leaves juice and buttermilk. Boil this mixture for a few minutes. Apply it lukewarm on your scalp and leave it on for half an hour. Then, wash it away with lukewarm water. This is very effective for oily hairs.
5. Coconut oil and lemon juice
Coconut oil works wonders for your hair. It moisturizes your hair, stimulates hair growth, fights infections, and adds luster to your hair. When used for a prolonged time, it also helps reverse gray hair because it is packed with antioxidants.
- Mix three teaspoons of lemon juice in some coconut oil, enough for the length of your hair. Apply it to your hair and massage it into your scalp. Leave it on for at least an hour before shampooing your hair. You can apply before bed and wash next morning. Repeat on a weekly basis.
6. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek is rich in nutrients like vitamin C, iron, potassium, and lysine. It is considered as a powerful remedy for white hair. These nutrients not only prevent premature graying, but also help in hair growth and preventing scalp dryness.
- Consume fenugreek sprouts daily.
- Drink the water extracted from soaked fenugreek on an empty stomach during the morning time is recommended.
- Mix fenugreek powder, lemon juice and yogurt and make a paste. Apply its paste on scalp for treatment of premature graying of hair.
7. Carrot juice
Carrot juice is healthy as well as tasty. Carrot helps to keep your hair healthy and strong. Drink a glass of carrot juice on a daily basis. Do not apply it on your hair because this works best when you consume it. Drinking carrot juice can be very health for your overall health as well.
Instead of consuming carrot juice you can apply carrot seed oil is also beneficial. Carrot oil provides nourishment, whereas sesame oil has anti-aging effects on your hair. Mix the ½ spoon of carrot seed oil and four spoons of sesame oil and make a solution. Apply this to your hair roots. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash with warm water and mild shampoo for lustrous tresses.
8. Black Tea
Black tea replenishes hair with antioxidants and helps in reducing the growth of white hair. It also helps to darken hair color and also make them soft and shiny.
- Boil two tablespoons of black tea and sift it after cooling down to room temperature. Apply it on the scalp and let it sit for at least one hour. Rinse well. Do not use shampoo.
Another easy way to darken your hair is to mix ground coffee in your hair conditioner while applying it.
9. Black sesame seeds
Black sesame seeds are highly effective in getting rid of the problem of premature graying of hair. They are rich in protein, iron, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and copper. It is believed that they promote melanocyte activity to produce melanin. The anti-aging properties of sesame oil when used with almond oil help in reversing the premature graying process.
- Simply eat a teaspoon of black sesame seeds daily for at least three months.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil with 4 teaspoons of almond oil. Massage with this oil on scalp for about twenty minutes. Wash hair with water gently.
10. Rosemary and sage leaves
Both these herbs help cover the gray by darkening your hair color naturally. These herbs can cover your darken hair naturally. Sage leaves are light colored, they can be used to naturally dye graying hair. It is a natural hair color preservative and works wonderfully to restore natural hair color.
- Boil one-half cup each of dried rosemary and sage in two cups of water. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Strain the solution. Use it as a hair rinse after shampooing. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it out. Repeat on a weekly basis.
- You can also apply mixture on hairs for 2 hours and then only rinse with shampoo.
- Boil a few sage leaves with water. Cool the mixture and sprinkle it on your hair evenly. Leave it on for two hours. Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat the process for a few weeks.