Most of women complain about dry and frizzy hairs. The main cause for hair getting frizzy is heat and humidity. Other causes of frizzy hair can be heating tools, such as blow dryer and flat iron, swimming in chlorinated water. In the case of curly hair, the hair cuticle is naturally open due to lack of moisture, leading to frizzy hair.
Frizzy hairs can be daily or occasional problem but can look dull and be very difficult to style. Dry hairs need moisturizing and oil nourishment to the cuticle layers on hair strands to make them smooth. Frizzy hairs can be treated by doing hair spa but going to salon every time is time consuming and very costly. Also the chemicals present in hair spa products may not favor your hair.
Here are some home remedies to treat the frizzy hairs.
1. Protect your hair
Simple tip to get rid of frizzy hair is to protect your hair and care it yourself. Regular care can protect your hair from getting damage. Some cares to protect your hair are as follows:
- Keep your hairs protected with a hat when you go out in extreme weather conditions.
- Don’t shampoo your hair too often.
- Do not blow dry hair for long time. If possible let your hair dry naturally.
- After every shower do not forget to condition your hair. Do deep conditioning once a week.
- Brush hair gently and don’t brush when it is wet.
- Always use alcohol free hair products.
2. Hot oil massage
Oil is considered the most important element for frizzy hair that needs extra moisture. When it comes to hair oil, olive oil is one of the best options. But you can use mustard oil, coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil or rosemary oil as well. It’s extraordinarily hydrating. Oil will help seal the moisture on your hair strands and will also condition your hair.
- Heat up one cup of oil and apply the warm oil on your hair. Leave it on for about an hour and wash off with mild shampoo. Use cold water for rinsing. Do this three times a week.
3. Honey and yogurt
Honey is a natural moisturizer and conditioner. It makes the hair stronger, smoother, and shinier. The combination of yogurt with honey works as a deep conditioner. Yogurt provides the nourishment for stronger and healthier hair and honey helps in retaining moisture. It also acts as an emollient and makes hair smoother and shinier.
- Mix the honey and yogurt well and apply on the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 1 hour and wash with cold water. Do this once a week.
- Mix the honey with the water and apply it on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then shampoo and condition normally.
Egg is one of the most popular home remedies for frizzy hair. Egg yolks act as natural moisturizers, whereas egg whites kill bacteria and remove excess oil from the scalp. It nourishes and brings the shine back to your hair and makes your hair healthier.
- Whip the egg well and add some lukewarm water to it. Apply this to your scalp and hair. Massage for 10 minutes. Leave for 15 minutes and wash your hair.
- Mix egg with olive oil and apply on your hair and scalp. Leave for 1 hour and wash off with mild shampoo.
5. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar also removes the dirt and grease, thus giving new life to your frizzy hair. It helps in balancing the pH level of your hair and closes any open cuticle shingles. This makes your hair smooth and shiny.
You can use lemon as well as lemon helps to treat frizzy hair caused mainly due to a dry scalp.
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar, and use it as final rinse after you shampoo your hair. This final rinse can be repeated once every two to four weeks.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and apply onto your scalp with a cotton ball. Then comb your hair gently to distribute the solution. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse your hair well. Repeat this once a week.
Bananas are rich in natural oils, potassium, carbohydrates and vitamins which make them a great hair conditioner. Banana lock in moisture to soften and add shine to your hair and help prevent and repair split ends. Banana mask helps to get rid of dryness very quickly.
- Mash the banana and mix well with the honey and oil to form a smooth paste. Apply all over scalp and hair. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse thoroughly. You can add yogurt to it as well.
7. Coconut milk
Coconut milk acts as a natural light protein and moisture treatment for frizzy hair. It gives your hair shiny and bouncy look. You can buy it from market. But if you prefer fresh extract coconut milk from the flesh of the coconut.
- Apply warm coconut milk on your hair and cover it with shower cap or towel. Leave it for 1 hour or leave for overnight. Then wash off with shampoo and let it dry naturally.
8. Carbonated water
Carbonated water is made by using pressure to dissolve carbon dioxide gas in water. This water has low pH levels that help control frizz caused by humidity. At home you can use carbonated water like club soda, soda water or sparkling water to treat frizzy hair at home. You need to follow this remedy for quite some time.
- After each regular shampooing, rinse your hair with carbonated water. This will soothe and tame the frizz. Do this after every hair shampooing till you get the desired result.
Beer restores the moisture in your hair and also provides the essential nutrients that your hair needs. It also has nutrients, minerals, vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants that your hair needs. It works as a natural conditioner and also stimulates hair growth. For best results use darker beers.
- Apply beer in your hair and coat it properly. Leave it for a 5-7 minutes and then rinse it out with cold water. Do this once every two weeks.
- Mix equal amounts of beer, shampoo and conditioner. Apply this solution on your hair and brush your hair. Leave it on for a 5-7 minutes and then rinse your thoroughly with cold water.
10. Avocado Mask
Avocado-based hair mask is a highly effective remedy to control frizzy hair. It contains vitamin E to tame frizzy hair. It also has very effective hydrating properties. It also has the good quality of fatty acids that help soothe frizzy and unruly hair.
- Mash the avocado with curd to make a smooth, creamy paste and apply it as a hair mask and let it sit for 1 hour. Then wash thoroughly and apply conditioner as you normally do.
- Mash avocado and mix it well with olive oil. Shampoo your hair and apply the mixture throughout your hair. Leave for 30 minutes and wash it off with cold water. If avocado smell persist, condition your hair.