The skin around the elbows and knees is usually thicker and has more folds than its surrounding skin. The buildup of thick and dead skin formed by the friction or pressure in elbows or knees or in ankles causes the skin to turn black. Also, because there are no oil glands in these areas, this skin tends to be drier. Black knees and elbows can happen to any person regardless of the color of their skin. So, when proper care and hygiene is not maintained, the skin on knees and elbows becomes much darker than other parts of your body.
Some other factors that contribute to dark elbows and knees are frequent rubbing, overexposure to the sun, genetic factors, dry skin, hormonal imbalance, obesity, dead skin buildup and increased melanin pigment. Getting too much sun and not exfoliating your skin add to the darkening of the skin.
You can easily get rid of these dark knees and elbows using various home remedies. Here are 10 home remedies to remove dark elbows and knees.
The simplest and easiest home remedy for dark elbows is lemon. Lemon juice is actually a natural bleaching agent which means that they can make the skin whiter over time. It has natural bleaching as well as exfoliating properties. It has a high amount of vitamin C that helps remove dead cells and lighten skin tone. It can also promote regeneration of healthy skin cells. After applying lemon juice, avoid sun exposure for the next 3 hours.
- Rub your elbows and knees with a slice of lemon. Use it every day to lighten your knee and elbow.
- Apply lemon juice on your elbows and knees and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and apply a moisturizing lotion.
- You can also extract the juice of 1 lemon and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it on the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash the mixture off with water.
2. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a good remedy to lighten dark knees and elbows. It has vitamin E that can help lighten the skin tone and prevent dryness by keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. Coconut oil is rich in minerals, fatty acids, and other nutrients that nourish skin, and walnut exfoliates skin to lighten tone. It can even repair dark and damaged skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub this solution on your dark elbows and knees and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Wipe it off with paper towels. Do this once daily.
- After each shower or bath, apply coconut oil on your knees and elbows and massage gently for 1 to 2 minutes. Reapply several times a day to prevent dryness.
- You can also add enough coconut oil to 1 tablespoon of walnut powder to make a thick paste. Use it to exfoliate dark skin patches around your knees and elbows 2 or 3 times a week.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda acts as a gentle cleanser, hence it is effective for treating dark knees and elbows. Baking soda is very effective in cleaning the skin and reduces darkening of the skin. Baking soda exfoliates the skin and scrubs away dead skin cells. It can help remove dead skin cells and reduce hyper-pigmentation that forms around the knees and elbows. Baking soda, combined with the soft qualities of moisturizing milk, makes this combination extremely potent. Milk bleaches and cleanses the skin
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with milk. Apply this paste on knees and elbows and scrub it using circular motion. Wash it off using lukewarm water. Repeat the remedy once every two days. Repeat until you notice changes in the color.
4. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera reduces the sun damage caused to the skin due to overexposure of the elbows and knees to the sun. It also moisturizes the skin and prevents the dryness which may lead to darkening of the skin. Aloe vera is a natural skin lightener that will also keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. Aloe Vera contains several oils that deep into the skin to heal sun damage and moisturize. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce irritation and pain. It can help maintain even skin tone and promote the repair of skin cells damaged by sun exposure.
- Take fresh leaves of Aloe Vera and take out the gel by breaking the fleshy leaf. Apply the fresh gel to the knees and elbows and leave it for half an hour. Repeat this process every day.
5. Vinegar and Yogurt
The acetic acid in vinegar also bleaches dark skin. Yogurt exfoliates the skin while its lactic acid acts as a bleaching agent. It also cleanses and moisturizes the skin. When used together this home remedy to reduce the dark color of the skin as they cleanse and moisturize the skin. This also give skin even skin tone and produce a soothing effect.
- Apply a mixture of vinegar and yoghurt on the affected areas and leave it to dry. When the mixture becomes dry rub the area in circular motion for two minutes and wash.
6. Sugar scrub and olive oil
Sugar and olive oil combined make a perfect mix of hard and soft. Sugar granules help exfoliate dead skin cells and soften the skin. Sugar scrub helps to lighten the skin tone of your knees and elbows. Sugar is known to take out the dead skin cells that can be found on the skin. It can also be used to exfoliate different areas of the skin. Olive oil will then moisturize the elbows.
- Mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to make a thick paste and apply this paste on your knees and elbows. Rub it around using circular motions for 5 minutes. Wash it off with a mild soap and warm water. Do this daily.
7. Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour can cleanse the area and also provides mild exfoliation. Lemon is a natural bleach and this will help to reduce the darkness. It contains essential vitamins, minerals, and proteins, and they exfoliate the skin, removing dead skin cells and blemishes. Yogurt moisturizes and evens skin tone.
- Add some lime juice to chickpea flour to make a paste. Apply the mixture and rub in circular motion, allow it to dry and wash it off to get light colored skin.
- Add yogurt to chickpea flour to make a paste. Apply it on knees and elbow and rub in circular motion. After it dries wash off with lukewarm water. Do this daily.
8. Turmeric and milk
Turmeric has long been known to have healing properties for the skin. Turmeric is also highly recommended for dark elbows and knees. It can help maintain an even tone and adds a nice glow to the skin. Most popular option is to mix turmeric with milk with high fat content. Turmeric has antiseptic properties and milk act as bleach. Any paste which contains turmeric works great as a skin lightening solution.
- Mix a little turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon of milk cream. Apply it on your knees and elbows and massage for a few minutes. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour. Add enough rose water to it to make a paste. Massage this paste onto your elbows and knees. Leave it on until it is dry. Finally, scrub off the dried mask with lukewarm water.
Honey acts as a natural balm for the dark skin of the elbows. It also provides natural antibiotic properties. Honey moisturizes the dry skin and also has antiseptic properties. It moisturizes the skin preventing darkening of the skin. The better option is to mix one generous tablespoon of honey with equal parts milk and turmeric.
- Apply plain honey on your elbows and knees. Leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water by gently rubbing it.
- Then, apply this paste on the dark areas of the elbows and wait for about half an hour. Wash off with lukewarm water. Do this once every week for best results.
10. Potato juice
Potatoes are also wonderful home remedies for dark elbows. Potatoes contain bleaching agents that reduce the appearance of marks on the body. When applied regularly, it will help to lighten dark elbows and knees. Potatoes can be used to reduce any sort of marks on the body
- Cook potatoes. Mash in a bowl and mix with yogurt to make a paste. Apply to knees and elbows and leave on 20-30 minutes. Wash off with water. Repeat regularly.
- Extract juice from raw potatoes and apply it on your knees and elbows. When it gets dry, reapply it again. Repeat it 4-5 times and leave it for 20 minutes after final apply. Wash it with water. Do this daily.