Dark skin patches around the neck are a fairly common skin pigmentation disorder known as Acanthosis Nigricans. It is not an infection and is not contagious.
Aging and sun exposure are the main causes of dark discoloration on the neck. Other causes are diabetes, genetics, polycystic ovary syndrome, poor hygiene, and sudden weight loss or weight gain.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a great natural cleanser that not only diminishes the skin spots but also lightens the skin tone of the neck. It also moisturizes the skin. It can lighten skin color to a great extent and reduce various skin spots. It is rich in anti-oxidants and other natural compounds that greatly assist in repairing and reproducing new skin cells to clear the dark pigmentation of the neck.
- Extract pure aloe vera gel from the leaf. Apply it directly on the neck and gently massage it. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with water. Repeat this once daily for fast results.
Oats is not only good for your overall health but also for your patchy dark neck. It acts as a natural exfoliate that helps to remove the dead skin cells in the applied area. The darkness is usually the oil and fine grit deposits. This makes it look patchy and dark. Oats work as a great skin scrubber and help exfoliate the skin. This is quite effective in reducing the dark complexion that appears around the neck area. Oats can be used as a scrub as well as a mask for dark neck when mixed with certain other skin lightening ingredients.
- Take two teaspoons of coarsely ground oats and add a little tomato puree to it to get a thick paste. Apply the mixture on your neck and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Then scrub your neck gently. Finally, wash your neck with cold water and apply some moisturizer. Do this once or twice a week.
- Mix one tablespoon of powdered oats with enough milk and honey to make a paste. Apply it on the dark area of the neck. Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice a week.
3. Baking soda
Baking soda is a natural exfoliant that effectively helps to remove dark patchy skin that was caused due to hyper-pigmentation. It cleanses the skin and slowly removes dark, discolored patches. The combination of baking soda and water has proven quite effective in removing hyper-pigmentation that forms around the neck.
- Mix three parts of baking soda and one part of water to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your neck and allow it to dry, and then wash it off with water. Follow this home remedy two times a week to lighten the dark skin on your neck.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon is a common ingredient which has amazing bleaching properties due to the natural citric acid present in it. Also, the vitamin C present in lemon helps remove dead cells and lighten skin tone. Hence, lemon can be used to effectively lighten the dark complexion of your neck area.
- Apply lemon juice to the dark skin using a cotton ball. If you have sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with water. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Another option is to mix equal parts of lemon juice and rose water. Apply this mixture around the neck area before going to bed. Do this daily for about a month to see visible results
Note: Don’t go in the sun after using the lemon juice or you skin will get sunburn.
5. Chickpea flour
Chickpea flour is another good scrubber that helps to treat the dark neck by clearing dullness. It works as an excellent scrubber to get rid of dark skin patches on your neck. Chickpea flour should always be used with turmeric, which has antiseptic properties and is used for treating various skin problems. Chickpea flour cleanses the skin effectively and the turmeric lightens up the skin to remove its darkness.
- Take two teaspoons of chickpea flour and add a pinch of turmeric to it. Add some water and mix the ingredients well to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your dark spots and allow it to dry for about 20 minutes. Then scrub it away with cold water. Do this every other day.
If you have really dry skin, you may also add some fresh cream to this mix to moisturize your skin.
6. Potato juice
The bleaching agent in potato is a good home treatment for dark neck skin. There is an enzyme called catecholase in potato which helps in lightening the skin color of your neck. It also cures your blemishes if any. Here are some ways in which to use potato remedy for dark neck. This remedy can also be used for erasing dark spots and acne scars.
- Apply grated potatoes or potato juice all around your neck. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash your neck with cold water.
- Mix lemon juice and potato juice together and apply it on the affected skin area. Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes and then wash the area with cold water. Do this daily to get positive results.
Cucumber can also be used to improve the appearance of your neck area. This is a cool way to brighten your dark neck. Cucumber has a cooling, exfoliating and soothing effect that repairs skin cells and naturally brightens the dark neck. It also adds a natural glow to match your facial spark.
- Apply grated cucumber or cucumber juice all over your neck and gently scrub for about 10 minutes. Wash it off with rose water or cold water.
- Mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply it on your neck using cotton balls. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
8. Orange peel
Oranges contain vitamin C and antioxidants, as well as a bleaching property that effectively lightens the skin tone. You can use orange peel to cleanse as well as bleach the skin. Milk used in this process will work as natural cleanser that makes your skin glow.
- Put some orange peel in the sun and let it dry out. Then grind it into a powder. Add equal amount of whole milk to the powdered orange peel to make a thick paste. Apply the paste around the neck area and allow it to dry. Wash it off with cold water.
- Grate the orange peel and add orange juice to it. Apply this mixture on your neck and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Do this daily.
Yogurt is a good natural cleanser for skin. Also the acid present in it helps in lightening dark skin. When mixed with lime juice, the bleaching effect increases and your dark neck whitens fast. However, you can always omit adding lemon and apply plain yogurt to your neck and leave it for about 5 minutes before washing off with water.
- Stir plain yogurt with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply this to the neck. Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and wash it with water. Repeat regularly.
- Make a pack with yogurt and turmeric, apply and leave for 15 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Add fresh milk cream with yogurt. Apply it on your neck and massage gently for 5 minutes. Then wash off with milk soap. It’s better if you use lukewarm water with lime juice in it to wash the yogurt-cream mix instead of soap.
10. Almond-walnut scrub
Dry fruits also will act as a great remedy in preventing the dark neck problem. Dry fruits like almonds and walnuts can lighten up the skin tone by clearing the dead skin cells with its natural exfoliate property. Almonds are rich in vitamins which gives a new life to the skin. The oil in it acts as a moisturizer to give you soft, supple skin and remove discoloration. Walnuts contain vitamins and minerals that nourish the skin. They also help keep the skin moisturized, which is essential for healthy skin. To treat dark skin on the neck, a scrub made of walnuts and yogurt is very effective.
- Make a thick paste of half a teaspoon of powdered almonds, and one teaspoon each of milk powder and honey. Apply the paste on the sides and back of the neck, leave it on for half an hour and then wash it off with water. Do this two to four times a week.
- Mix crushed walnuts and almonds in yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the dark portion of your neck. Gently scrub for a few minutes and then allow it to dry. Wash it off using cold water or rose water.
If done on regular basis, about twice a week, this remedy will rejuvenate your neck skin and reduce any dark appearance.