Clear glowing skin is a dream for every person. Every woman wants picture-perfect, flawless skin. No one likes pimples, zits, dark spots, baggy eyes or dark circles. Clear and beautiful skin is one of the main elements of a person’s beauty. Healthy skin helps you feel beautiful as well.
Some of the leading factors that take a toll on the quality and texture of your skin are stress, poor nutrition, lack of sleep, pollution, damage from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, excessive smoking and drinking alcohol
Here are the top 10 ways to get clear skin at home.
Lemon juice is a rich source of Vitamin C, which helps in skin lightening. The citric acid present in lemon helps keep the skin clear by removing dead cells, and its vitamin C content helps reduce dark spots by increasing the cell renewal process. Lemon also has bleaching properties that will help improve your overall skin complexion. Thus, this remedy helps you to get rid of spots and blemishes and paves the way for clear, flawless skin.
- Apply fresh lemon juice on your face. Leave it till it dries out and wash off with water. Do this daily.
- Mix one-half lemon juice and mix one to two tablespoons of raw honey in it. Apply it on your face, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Mix two teaspoons each of lemon juice and sugar. Apply the mixture on your face, neck and hands. Scrub in a circular motion and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Turmeric is an excellent antiseptic and skin-lightening agent that helps minimize scars, spots, blemishes and other marks. Turmeric can alleviate allergic, inflammatory and infectious skin disorders that make your skin look dull and lifeless.
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with enough pineapple juice to make a paste. Apply the paste to your face and neck. Leave it on until the paste dries completely. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Mix two tablespoons of turmeric with rose water or lemon to make a thick paste. Apply this paste over your face. Let it stay on for about five minutes and then rinse your face with cold water.
- Make a paste by mixing equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour with a little water or milk. Apply it evenly on your skin and leave it on until it dries. Wash it off with lukewarm water, scrubbing your skin gently in a circular motion.
To enjoy clear skin, your need to keep your skin well moisturized. Honey is a great moisturizer and also has antibacterial properties that help ward off infection. It is a natural anti-biotic, ready and waiting to wipe the little buggers out.
- Apply raw honey directly on your skin. Let it dry naturally and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. The water content in honey will deeply moisturize the skin, making it soft and supple. Do this simple remedy once daily or every other day.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of milk or yogurt thoroughly with 1 tablespoon of honey. Let each layer dry before adding a new one, until the mask is the thickness you want. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash your mask off and use a washcloth to gently scrub in a circular motion, getting rid of loosened dead skin. Once you’re finished, moisturize as usual.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has many benefits for the skin. It has antibacterial properties that help kill bacteria that cause acne, anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe irritated skin, and astringent properties that help heal scars. Aloe vera moisturizes the skin, helps in clearing the skin of blemishes and spots and stimulates new skin cell growth.
- Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf. Apply the gel on your face using a cotton ball. Allow it to dry on its own for about half an hour, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy daily or several times per week.
Note: Aloe vera might not work for all skin types, so it’s advised to do a patch test before using it on your face.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda balances pH levels of the skin, which is very important to maintain clear skin. Plus, its mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties help deal with problems like acne, pimples and spots. It also works as an excellent exfoliating agent to keep the skin free from dirt, impurities and dead skin cells.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of water or lemon juice to make a paste. Cleanse your face and use the paste to gently exfoliate the skin. Finally rinse your face with lukewarm water and pat it dry with a towel.
- Mix one teaspoon each of baking soda and raw honey. Apply this mixture onto damp skin and massage gently for just one minute. Then wash with lukewarm water. Finally, splash some cold water on your face to close the pores.
6. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has been known to have skin lightening properties, due to which it can help reduce spots and even out the complexion. Tea tree oil isn’t like the oil your skin naturally produces, rather it is more like a solvent that cuts through the extra sebum and dead skin cells, and unblocks the pores. Its antibacterial properties also kill off the acne causing bacteria, and prevent further outbreaks.
- Dilute tea tree oil by mixing 1 part oil to 9 parts water. Dip a cotton swab in mixture, and apply to problem areas. Leave it on till it dries. Apply a light moisturizer afterwards if you wish.
Note: Tea tree oil is ok for topical use, but should never be ingested. It should also always be diluted before use.
Papaya can be used to improve your skin’s texture and maintain clear skin. Papaya is an all-natural acne remedy that removes dead skin cells and excess lipids from the surface of the skin, leaving it soft and smooth. It has natural bleaching properties that help reduce the appearance of scars. The enzyme papain present in papaya has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and wound healing abilities and also aids in removing dead, damaged skin.
- Chop a ripe papaya into small pieces. Combine the papaya with one teaspoon each of sandalwood powder and honey. Grind these ingredients into a paste. Apply the paste all over your face and neck. Leave it on for half an hour. Then rinse it off with cool water and pat dry your skin. Finally apply some rose water on your face.
Walnuts can bring a beautiful glow to dull, dry and lifeless skin. Walnuts have antioxidants that help repair skin cells and promote radiant skin. Walnut in powder form can be used to exfoliate your skin and remove impurities and dirt that an ordinary cleansing product cannot do.
- Mix two teaspoons of walnut powder with two tablespoons of plain yogurt to make a paste. Apply this paste on your face and neck. When the paste dries, scrub the mixture around your face and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this face mask once a week.
- Soak three walnuts in water overnight. In the morning, mix in one teaspoon of rose water to make a paste. Apply the paste on your face. Leave it on for an hour and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once a week.
9. Apple cider vinegar
It kills off the bacteria that may be causing all the skin problems in the first place. It also becomes alkaline, and balances the pH of your skin, which in turn makes it harder for bacteria to thrive. It is an astringent, like lemon juice, and will help dry up excess oil. Keeping that in mind, don’t overdo and dry out your skin too much. This could cause the sebaceous glands overproduce to compensate, therefore triggering an outbreak.
- Mix in a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, dip a cotton ball into vinegar and apply it directly to the blemish. Leave on for at least 10 minutes, or overnight. Make sure to use a moisturizer afterwards as well if you feel like your skin is getting dry.
The main ingredient in mint is menthol, which has cooling and soothing properties that help keep the skin healthy and glowing. Mint has skin lightening properties and helps in getting rid of dark spots and discoloration of the skin. It has wonderful healing properties that help fight off skin infections and get rid of sunburns.
- Wash the mint leaves to clean them of any dirt or impurities present. Blend them into a smooth paste. Dip cotton in the mint paste and dab it on the affected areas of the face and neck.
- Put one teaspoon of mint powder and one tablespoon each of plain yogurt and fuller’s earth in a bowl. Set it aside for half an hour so that all ingredients get soaked properly. Then stir it to get a smooth paste. Apply this homemade face pack on your face and neck. Leave it on until it dries naturally, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this face mask once a week to enjoy clear skin.