Wrinkles occur as part of the natural aging process, when the collagen and elastin in the connective tissue of the skin become weak and break down due to changes in fibroblasts that produce collagen and elastin. When skin ages it loses its collagen, which is the skin’s main tightening protein responsible for creating a smooth taut surface. This makes everyone susceptible to the fine lines, sagging and hollowness that appear on the face. The effects of aging on the dermal layer are significant. It makes dermal layer thin as well as less collagen is produced.
Wrinkles are caused by thin, sagging skin. They particularly appear on the face, neck, backs of hands, and tops of forearms. Premature or excess wrinkles can also be caused by factors like too much exposure to sunlight or harsh environments, smoking, use of certain drugs, excessive stress, sudden weight loss, loss of vitamin E, and genetic predisposition.
1. Aloe Vera
Malic acid present in aloe vera gel improves skin elasticity and reduces wrinkles and fine lines. Zinc present in the gel increases the youthfulness of skin by shrinking the pores. Mucopolysaccharides present in the gel help in retaining moisture and improve formation of collagen which is the protein that forms the basis of cell structure and maintains skin elasticity.
- Simply cut an aloe vera leaf from the plant and extract its gel. Apply the fresh gel onto your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Mix one teaspoon of aloe vera gel with the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Apply the mixture to areas where wrinkles are forming. Leave it on half an hour and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Drinking water is one of the most effective home remedies for wrinkles. Water can keep the body hydrated and maintain moisture level in the skin. Lack of enough water in the body will result to dehydration. When you are dehydrated, your skin may appear older. Take at least 2 liters of pure and filtered water every day to prevent your skin getting any wrinkles.
- Drink at least two liters or eight big glasses of filtered water daily. Have a glass in the morning to kick start your day and then keep a bottle of water beside you throughout the day. Avoid alcohol and carbonated drinks.
Honey is nature’s answer to all skin problems. It is the best nourishment for dry skin that helps in keeping skin hydrated by preventing moisture loss. It exfoliates skin to remove dead cells and promotes the regeneration of new cells which in turn lightens age spots, hyper pigmentation and scars. Vitamin B and potassium present in honey also helps in improving skin elasticity and suppleness.
- Apply a thin layer of lemon juice mixed with honey on your face for 10 minutes to tighten skin then rinse off, feel fresh, and smell nice. The honey contains humectant, which preserves moisture in skin cells, while the lemon boosts collagen production.
Bananas are a readily available and cheap natural anti-aging remedy. This fruit is loaded with skin benefitting nutrients such as potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants that combat the causes of wrinkles and fine lines. It helps in hydrating and moisturizing dry skin, improving collagen production, skin elasticity and suppleness and fighting the damage causing free radicals and oxidative stress to provide a flawless and younger looking skin and adds a healthy glow to it.
- Mash two ripe bananas into a thick paste. Apply the paste on the wrinkled areas. Leave it on for at least a half an hour and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Follow it with some skin moisturizer.
- Alternatively, you can use a mixture of one mashed banana and avocado, along with a little honey. Slather it on your skin, lave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
Rice water has antioxidant and healing properties that moisturize the skin and improve circulation, avoid age related spots and ease inflammation. It contains anti-aging properties that aids in fighting wrinkles Rice water will give you healthy, clear and more moisturized skin. Also, it offers you a mild sun protection.
- Get some rice powder and combine it with rose water and milk to create a smooth paste. Apply the mixture on a wet face and let it stay in the skin for 20 minutes. Rinse the face with cold water.
- Strain boiled rice and put aside the water in which the rice has boiled. Add a spoon of heated milk in the rice and mix them. After you stir the mixture well, add honey to it. Apply the mask on clean, dry skin and let it dry. Afterwards, take off the mask and wash your face with water in which the rice boiled.
6. Natural oils
Natural oils like olive oil, coconut oil, emu oil, almond oil or vitamin E oil are one of the most effective natural oils that help in lightening wrinkles and fine lines and tightening sagging skin. It is a rich source of vitamins, minerals and natural fatty acids that nourishes the skin because it is readily absorbed by the skin pores. Being loaded with vitamins A and E, it functions as a powerful antioxidant and helps in hydrating skin and maintaining its youthful suppleness and elasticity so that it appears younger for longer. It can prevent the formation of free radicals that are one of the primary causes of early aging. It’s a natural skin-softening moisturizer and contains emollient, which helps reduce wrinkles that have already developed.
- Regularly massaging natural oil onto the affected skin area will moisturize, repair and even regenerate skin cells. As the oil penetrates deep into the skin, it provides long-lasting protection and keeps it moisturized.
- Mix a few drops of honey with a few drops of natural oil and glycerin. Massage the mixture into your skin twice daily. This will eliminate dead cells and help tighten sagged skin.
7. Egg white
Egg whites are full of protein for tissue repair and growth, potassium to preserve the moisture in skin cells, riboflavin to eliminate toxins and free radicals that are known to cause wrinkles, and magnesium, which slows down the aging process and makes skin radiant. Egg whites also contain lysozyme, which digests the cell walls of acne-causing bacteria. Those with oily skin will benefit most from the powerful ingredients in egg whites. It helps to tighten, tone, and shrink pores by reducing excess sebum, otherwise known as the oil secretion from your pores.
- Beat egg white smoothly and apply on the face or in wrinkled skin. Let it dry and reapply it again. Repeat this for 4-5 times and leave for 15 minutes after final coat. Wash off with plain water. Repeat this process every day.
- Add 2 tbsp. of glycerin and rosewater in the egg white. Mix well the ingredients and apply on the wrinkles. This is best applied on the wrinkles of face or hands.
Cucumber is a natural hydrating vegetable and can reduce the formation of wrinkles. One cucumber contains B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folic acid, vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, and zinc. It tightens, lightens, hydrates, and tones the skin, while protecting it from dryness, peeling, or cracking. The smorgasbord of vitamins will help to guard from inflammation, and neutralize free radicles, which are known to cause premature aging.
- Make slices of one cucumber and put all over your face. Leave it at least 20 minutes. Do this process every day.
- Make puree of half a cucumber with mint leaves, mix in half a cup of Greek yogurt, and keep it in the fridge to cool it down. Apply this natural hydrating face mask every day for better result.
Almonds are loaded with nutrients such as vitamin E, iron, zinc, fiber, calcium, folic acid and oleic acid that function as powerful antioxidants which prevent the degeneration of collagen fibers of skin and delay the aging process by treating wrinkles and fine lines.
- Soak some almonds in raw milk overnight. In the morning, remove the skin and grind the almonds into a thick paste. Apply the paste onto your skin, and even under your eyes to get rid of dark circles. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. For best results, do this daily.
- You can also massage almond oil into your skin to delay the effects of aging.
10. Vitamin C rich foods
Include more vitamin C rich foods such as orange, blueberries, grapefruit, pineapple, broccoli, bell peppers, spinach, and kale in your diet. Vitamin C promotes collagen formation and fights free radicals. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids will also help keep your skin youthful and plump.
Lemon helps in exfoliating skin, removing dead skin cells and impurities and shrinking open pores to provide a smooth and younger appearance to skin. It tightens the tissues and increases skin elasticity to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Pineapples have enzymes that promote skin elasticity, moisturize the skin, and help eliminate dead skin cells as well. The fruit is also rich in antioxidants, fibers and vitamins that boost skin health.
- Gently rub a little bit of lemon juice into your facial skin. Leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes and then rinse your face with water. Do this two to three times a day.
- Mix one teaspoon each of yogurt, honey and vitamin E oil and lemon juice. Spread it on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Rub pineapple flesh on the affected skin area. Allow it to dry for 20 minutes, and then rinse with warm or cold water.
- Apply the juice from a green pineapple onto the skin daily for five minutes before washing off. This is also a very good remedy for treating dark circles around the eyes.