The term split ends refers to the splitting or fraying of the hair shaft. The condition is medically called Trichoptilosis and is caused by thermal, mechanical or chemical stress that wears away the protective outer layer of the hair cuticle.
- Over exposure of hair to the sun, pollution, dust and excessive chemicals
- Washing hairs with hot water
- Using harsh shampoos
- Excessive use of serum, sprays, mousse and styling gels
- Lack of regular trimming and conditioning schedules.
- Over use of heat, hair dryers, hair straightener or curlers can cause irreparable damage to your hair follicles.
- Using the wrong kind of hair brush and comb can also accumulate damage to hair ends.
The most effective way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off. If left untrimmed, they tend to break off or continue splitting up the length of your hair.
But since trimming your hair is not always the preferred solution, especially when you are trying to grow your hair long, you can use some natural home remedies to reduce and control the problem. Here are the top 10 home remedies for split ends.
1. Egg mask
Eggs are a very important source of essential fatty acids and a huge number of proteins too, to using a pack/mask containing eggs will help you strengthen the roots as well as condition your hair to get rid of split ends. They will make your hair smooth, reduce tangles, and enhance resistance to breakage.
- Whisk one egg yolk with 2-3 table spoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey for the ultimate conditioning hair mask. Leave it on for 20-30 mins and wash it off with a mild shampoo and cold water.
Papaya contains protein that helps nourish your hair and reduce split ends. Papaya is a good source of natural amino acids, anti-oxidants and tons of necessary vitamins. It also adds body to your hair, removes buildup, and restores your hair’s natural shine and softness.
- Blend half a papaya (peeled and deseeded) with one-half cup of plain yogurt until you get a smooth mixture. Apply it on your hair and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Rinse it out and then shampoo your hair. Do this once a week, or at least two to three times a month, for a few months.
Avocado works as an excellent deep conditioner to create lustrous locks. Avocado is a rich source of protein, essential fatty acids, folic acid, magnesium, vitamins A, D and E which are all extremely important for the nourishment of your hair. It is filled with proteins and fatty acids which nourish and condition your hair better than the best conditioners found in the market today. Avocado also has hair-softening properties.
- Mash a ripe avocado and add two tablespoons of olive oil and coconut oil till you achieve an emulsion like creamy state. Apply all over your hair but do not apply to the roots. Rinse it off after 30 minutes and shampoo.
Loaded with natural oils, potassium, zinc, iron and vitamins A, C and E, bananas help restore your hair’s natural elasticity and minimize breakage. They soften and moisturize your hair, encourage hair repair, and improve manageability.
- Mash up a banana with two tablespoons of yogurt and a little lime juice. Apply this mask on your hair for an hour before washing it off with cold water.
Due to its humectant property (attracts moisture) and nutrient content, honey is highly beneficial for dry and damaged hair prone to splitting and breakage. It works as a natural hair conditioner and moisturizer, making your hair softer and shinier.
- Mix some honey and yogurt till the paste is thick. Apply to the ends of your hair. Wash it off after 30 minutes or so with a mild, hair-friendly shampoo for lustrous, healthy hair.
Beer contains proteins and sugar which can strengthen your hair and mend damaged hair follicles. It also works as an excellent conditioner and adds shine and volume to your hair.
- Shampoo your hair. Pour some flat beer in a small spray bottle. Spray it over the mid- and end-sections of your damp hair. Let it sit for two to three minutes. You need not rinse it out. Do this once a week.
Note: The beer smell usually goes away after a while when your hair dries.
7. Hot oil conditioning
Hot oil conditioning is one of the oldest and most proven home remedies for split ends. Deep conditioning with hot oils helps restore moisture, which in turn helps control split ends. For healthier hair, regularly deep condition it with moisturizing oils and natural hair masks.
- Heat some olive oil or coconut oil or almond oil. Make sure it is not scalding hot and massage it in gently on your scalp. Leave it on for 45 minutes to an hour. For extremely dry hair one can leave it on overnight as well. Wash it off with lukewarm water and mild shampoo.
Mayonnaise works as an excellent remedy for damaged hair. It nourishes your hair, prevents split ends, and provides a soft feel and shiny look. The egg nourishes your hair; the oil conditions it and leaves your hair feeling soft, healthy, and shiny. It is also one of the best natural straightening treatments that do not damage your hair.
- Wet and towel dry your hair. Work one-half cup of mayonnaise into your hair. Leave it on for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it out and shampoo your hair. Repeat once or twice a week.
Note: You hair may smell bad for days after using mayonnaise.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera works as a great moisturizer for dry and damaged hair prone to split ends. It is a very good natural product which is an anti-septic plus it has anti-oxidant and various extracts that are widely used for hair care. It promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss.
- Simply massage aloe vera gel (extracted from one or two aloe vera leaves) into your hair, leave it on for 30 minutes and then shampoo your hair. For better results, you can combine it with one tablespoon lemon juice and two teaspoons castor oil, olive oil or jojoba oil. Do this two or three times a week for a few months.
10. Milk and cream
The combination of milk and cream provides moisture and makes your hair smooth and supple, thereby treating split ends. Milk proteins encourage tissue growth and repair. Also, full cream milk is a good hair tonic that cures split ends very quickly.
- Mix one tablespoon of cream and one-half cup of whole milk. Rinse your hair with it and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off and shampoo your hair. Do this once a week for a few months.