Whiteheads are also known as closed comedones. They are a form of acne which occurs on the face and other parts of the body due to the excess production of sebum in the body. It is caused by skin pores clogged with trapped dirt, sebum and dead skin.
White heads normally occur in and around the T-zone but mostly appear on the nose, cheeks, temples and forehead. They are similar to blackheads but appear as small white or yellow bumps as they form under the surface of closed pores. Blackheads are dark in color due to being exposed to oxygen.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for whiteheads.
1. Facial Steam
Steaming you face is a simple, easy, and extremely effective method to remove whiteheads without irritating sensitive skin. The warm steam drifting into your pores will loosen the dirt and oil that is causing whiteheads and other blemishes while also helping to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Not only will the warm steam help keep your complexion clear, you can also enjoy healthier and younger looking skin. This method is really effective for oily skin.
- Boil some water in a pan to create steam. Turn off the heat and place your face over the pan while holding a towel over head to trap the steam around your face. Allow the steam to soak into your face for five to eight minutes. Finally, pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
- Alternatively, you can dip a soft, clean towel in warm water, wring out the excess water and place it on your face. Leave it on for a few minutes and then remove it. Repeat the process two or three times in a sitting.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural and extremely inexpensive product that will soften and gently remove whiteheads when it is applied to the face. It is good for gentle exfoliation of oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the skin. It also helps maintain the pH balance of the skin. Baking soda can also help to even out skin tone, and diminish the appearance of dark spots and acne scars.
- Mix a little water in one teaspoon of baking soda to make a thick paste. Apply it on the affected area and wash it off after a few minutes. Repeat two or three times a week until you are satisfied with the results.
Note: Avoid using baking soda if you have sensitive skin.
3. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil can be used as a natural astringent to reduce oiliness and get rid of whiteheads. Due to its antibacterial properties, tea tree oil will also fight acne. It has unique disinfecting and soothing properties. Unlike other acne treatments, tea tree oil will not strip your skin of its natural oils and cause further damage.
- Dilute tea tree oil with water. Using cotton balls dab it on the affected area and leave it on at least for 30 minutes. Wash it off with cool water. Repeat daily till you see result.
4. Sugar Scrub
A homemade sugar scrub can work wonders for your skin. It will help exfoliate your skin to remove excess oil and debris trapped in the pores without causing dryness.
- Mix a tablespoon of sugar with half tablespoon of honey and apply it on your face. Slightly scrub it on the whiteheads area, leave the mixture for few minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat this process at least once a week.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is rich in alpha hydroxy acids which helps to exfoliate the skin and also facilitates cell regeneration. It is known to be rich in Vitamin C. It also helps get rid of excess oil due to its astringent properties. This can help make the skin rejuvenate faster too and can help eliminate whiteheads entirely.
- Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice and apply the juice on your face. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash your face with cold water. Do this daily before going to bed. Repeat this daily.
When it is applied to the face you can enjoy younger looking and clearer skin. It is slightly abrasive in nature which works as a natural exfoliator to gently get rid of accumulated dead skin and dirt. In addition, it absorbs excess oil and opens the clogged pores for a fresh and radiant complexion.
- Make a simple paste of powdered oatmeal mixed with water. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then gently scrub it off to exfoliate your skin. Then wash your face with cool water.
- Mix two tablespoons of yogurt, one tablespoon each of lemon juice and honey, and four tablespoons of powdered oatmeal. Then apply this paste on your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works like an astringent and thus removes excess oil from the skin. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help fight acne, reduces whiteheads and blemishes. It helps to remove toxins from the face and prevent wrinkles.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water. Apply this solution on your face using a cotton ball. Leave it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this daily until you see the result.
Cinnamon is excellent for improving the quality of your skin. It possesses anti-inflammation and antimicrobial properties that fight acne. When used as a scrub, it helps reduce blackheads and whiteheads. It also promotes the production of collagen, thereby facilitating skin regeneration.
- Mix together one teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and oat flour with sufficient warm water to make a thick paste. Spread it on your face and scrub for a few minutes. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Apply a paste of one teaspoon each of honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Leave it on for about 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
9. Gram flour
Gram flour is an excellent ingredient for deep cleansing and exfoliating your skin to remove dead skin and absorb excess oil. The roughness texture of flour helps to fall out of whiteheads. It will also help get rid of unwanted facial hair.
- Mix two tablespoons of gram flour in sufficient yogurt to make a thick paste. You can also add one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply over your face and leave it on until it dries completely. Scrub it off and then wash your face.
10. Fenugreek Seed
Fenugreek seeds are effective at removing white and black heads from the T-zone. The seeds are easy to grind into a paste that will gently reduce the amount of oil on your face, without drying it out your complexion. Along with helping to prevent an oily complexion, fenugreek paste can also prevent pores from becoming clogged.
- Take a few fenugreek leaves and make them into paste with the addition of water, make sure it is rough but not soft. Rub this paste on your face, concentrating on the areas where you have whiteheads. Rinse off your face after it got dried with lukewarm water.