Large and open pores can be a cause of great concern for many of us. Dirt and grime can easily clog the pores and cause skin eruptions, apart from the fact that they can be quite unsightly as well. It is common problem especially for the people with oily skin.
Excess sebum, along with dirt and bacteria, tends to clog the pores. To make matters worse, blackheads tend to make pores more visible and look even larger.
There are several home remedies that help in reducing the appearance of large pores and preventing skin infections and eruptions.
Here are the 10 home remedies to get rid of open pores.
Ice is an instant remedy for open pores that will stimulate blood circulation and give you a healthier skin. Due to its skin tightening effect it is effective home remedy to help shrink large pores. It is often used to minimize enlarged pores before applying makeup. This is a toner that tightens the pores. For better result infuse the water for ice cubes with cucumber juice, apple juice, green tea or rose water which are also good for closing pores.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and hold it on your skin for 15 to 30 seconds. Do this a few times daily.
- Simply wash your face with ice cold water once daily.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that tightens up the skin and reduces large pores. It also treat acne breakout and maintains the pH balance of the skin. It works as a natural astringent and skin toner
- Take equal proportion of water and apple cider vinegar. Apply this solution by using cotton ball and wait for a few minutes. Rinse it with water. For better results, use it regularly. Follow it with light moisturizer.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda works as a gentle exfoliating agent, removing excess oil, dirt and debris from your skin. It also helps balance the pH levels of the skin and reduces problems like acne and pimples due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix two tablespoons each of baking soda and lukewarm water. Apply the mixture on your skin and massage in circular motion for a few seconds. Finally, rinse it off with cool water. Repeat the process daily for five to seven days. Then reduce the frequency to three to five times a week for a few weeks.
4. Sugar Scrub
Homemade sugar scrubs can be of great help in reducing large pores as they exfoliate the skin and remove excess oil and impurities.
- Mix two tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Gently rub it on your skin for 20 to 30 seconds, and then wash it off with cool water. Use it regularly, once or twice a week.
- Mix parts of honey and lemon juice and a little sugar. Massage your skin with it, and leave it on for five to 10 minutes and rinse it off. Repeat twice a week until you achieve the desired results.
5. Egg Whites
Egg whites are widely used to shrink enlarged pores because they tone and tighten the skin. Egg white contains amino acids and other enzymes that rejuvenates the skin and unclog the pores. Egg white masks are also great for drawing excess oil out of greasy skin. It cleanses the skin deeply and removes all the impurities and dirt.
- Apply it all over your face and cover up with a tissue paper. When the mask completely dries, peel off the paper and then rinse it off. DO this three times a week on regular basis. This is a very effectual peel off mask for minimizing open pores.
- Whip two egg whites along with the juice squeezed from half of a lemon. Spread it on your face, and leave it on for about 10 minutes or until it dries completely. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat a few times a week for one month.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that eliminates excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells, thereby minimizing the appearance of open pores. It will also reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Apply a thin layer of plain yogurt on your face. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off. Repeat daily or three or four times a week for at least one month. You can mix chickpeas flour to it as well.
- For excessively oily and acne-prone skin can apply a mixture of one teaspoon of yogurt, two aspirin tablets (crushed to a fine powder) and one egg white (thoroughly whisked). Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat once or twice a week.
Oatmeal is great for exfoliating the skin and hence removing excess oil and dead skin cells that make open pores appear larger. Oats are found to have high absorption capacity, and can cleanse the skin. It soothes the skin and can be used for all types of skin even sensitive skin as well.
- Mix together five tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of milk powder and two tablespoons of oatmeal. Apply this mixture on your face and gently rub it in circular motions. Leave it on for 15 minutes or until it dries completely. Scrub it off and wash your face with cool water. Repeat once a week.
Cucumber works as a natural astringent to help shrink open pores. It will also improve your skin texture and add a fresh glow. The cooling properties of cucumber are wonderful for enlarged pores as cucumber can shrink the pores when applied cooled. The cooling action will shrink the pores immediately.
- Grate one fresh cucumber and extract its juice. Soak a cotton ball in it and apply the juice on your skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water.
- Add a little rose water or lemon juice to the cucumber juice. Apply it on your skin, and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water.
9. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is another useful natural remedy for open pores as it absorbs excess oil and exfoliates the skin. In addition, it helps reduce scars and blemishes and benefits sun-damaged skin.
- Mix sufficient rose water in two tablespoons of fuller’s earth to make a paste. Apply it on your face, and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes until it dries. Scrub it off and rinse your face with cool water. Use this mud mask once or twice a week regularly.
10. Lemon juice
Lemon juice contains citric acid that exfoliates your skin and minimizes the appearance of open pores. It will also help improve your complexion and remove dark spots due to its bleaching effect. Also helps to get rid of oil which helps to tighten up your skin too. Lemon juice is astringent in nature and it has been seen that this helps to close the pores. It also cleans up the debris and that may help somewhat in constricting the pores.
- Apply lemon juice directly in the pores. Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse properly with cool water. Repeat this daily.
- Mix one teaspoon of organic honey in the juice squeezed from one lemon. Apply it on your skin, and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Do this daily at least for a month.
- Apply a combination of one teaspoon each of lemon juice and cinnamon powder for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat daily for at least a month.