Lemon is a good source of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and potassium. It also has antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and astringent properties that help improve the appearance and condition of your hair, skin and nails.
Being rich in citrus acid, it improves digestion, balances pH levels, fights body odor, boosts the immune system, fights infection, control high blood pressure and more. Drink lemon water daily and also apply it on your skin to get various beauty benefits.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of lemon:
1. Treats Dandruff
Lemon juice can treat scalp condition and treat dandruff. The antifungal properties as well as its tendency to soothe and control itchy scalps, makes it a great agent for fighting those icky white flakes. Its antifungal and antibacterial action helps fight scalp infections.
- Mix the juice of 2 lemons in 1 cup of water. After shampooing, rinse your hair with this diluted solution. Wait 5 minutes and rinse your hair with plain water. Use this remedy once or twice a week.
Avoid going out in the sun when using lemon remedies for dandruff as it can lighten your hair color.
2. Cures Acne and Scars
Lemon contains L-ascorbic acid, a natural astringent that helps treat acne quickly. Its antibacterial properties penetrate deeply into the skin to absorb impurities from the pores and kill the bacteria responsible for acne.. In addition, the vitamin C in lemon promotes growth of healthy skin tissues as well as minimizes the appearance of acne scars and spots.
- Simply rub a slice of lemon across the affected area. Wait 5 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. Repeat twice daily until the acne is gone.
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of lemon juice and rose water. Using a cotton ball, apply it on the affected skin. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Follow this remedy twice daily.
- Drink a glass of lemon water daily to protect your skin from free-radical damage and maintain a good pH level.
3. Whitens Yellow Teeth
Lemon is a great source of vitamin C that lightens the teeth. It acts as a bleaching agent that clears the yellow discoloration. It contains citric acid that stimulates the saliva production which cleanses the mouth. The acidic and anti-bacterial properties of lemon juice help to kill mouth bacteria, give brighter teeth and prevent several oral diseases. The natural sweet smell of lemon juice helps to freshen the mouth.
- Rub a fresh lemon peel all over your teeth. Wait for a couple of minutes, then rinse your mouth with warm water. Do this once daily.
- Make a mixture with ¼ teaspoon of salt or baking soda and enough lemon juice to make a thin paste. Apply it on the stained teeth and gently rub it around. Wait for 1 minute, then rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Repeat this remedy once daily for a week.
4. Lightens Freckles
Freckles, a common sign of sun-damaged skin, can be a beauty concern for both men and women. Lemon juice has skin-lightening and bleaching properties that can lighten the freckles, making them less noticeable and even make them disappear over time.
- Gently massage the affected skin areas with freshly extracted lemon juice for 5 minutes. Wait another 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a paste with the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of beaten yogurt and a little honey. Apply this paste on the affected areas. Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with cool water. Use this treatment once daily.
5. Reduces Stretch Marks
Lemon is a good option to consider for treating stretch marks at home. Lemon contains Vitamin C also known as ascorbic acid which ensures the production of collagen. Collagen is a protein made up of amino acids and produces almost 30% of the proteins with in the body. It helps the growth of cells and blood vessels and aids immensely to maintain the firmness and strength of the skin. Its mild acidic property aids the skin in sloughing off dead skin cells and developing new skin cells.
- Gently rub a slice of lemon on the stretch marks in circular motions for 5 minutes. Allow the juice to dry, and then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 1 or 2 times daily.
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and cucumber juice. Apply it on the affected areas and gently massage for 5 minutes. Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Do this once daily.
6. Rejuvenates Skin
Lemon is one ingredient that can help rejuvenate your skin and make it look beautiful and young. It makes skin radiant and flawless skin, free of wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots and uneven tone. The vitamin C in lemon boosts collagen production, which restores skin elasticity to help maintain a smooth and youthful appearance. Vitamin C is highly effective for promoting healthy skin. It even protects against free-radical damage. Its astringent properties help tighten the skin and prevent signs of premature aging like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Put some honey on a piece of lemon and rub it gently on your face, neck, hands and legs. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, dilute lemon juice with an equal amount of rose water or vitamin E oil and apply it on your skin. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Follow this remedy a few times a week.
7. Lightens Dark Lips
Lemon juice can be used to lighten dark lips, which can occur due to excessive exposure to direct sunlight, use of low-quality cosmetics and high caffeine intake. The natural bleaching property helps lighten dark lips and restore your lips natural pink shade. Strong bleaching forms are found in lemon juice that is absolutely powerful to vanish away the spots or dirt from the skin. It may take some time, but the results are definitely worth your patience and persistence.
- Rub your lips with lemon juice for about 3 minutes with the fingertips gently. Then use clean water to wash the lips. Repeat this process twice daily.
- You can even prepare a mixture with ½ teaspoon each of lemon juice, glycerin and honey. Apply it on your lips like a lip balm daily before going to bed for a few months.
8. Heals Cracked Feet
Cracked feet not only look unattractive but also cause a lot of discomfort. You can use lemon juice to reduce discomfort and enjoy soft feet. Its mild acidic property helps get rid of dead and dry skin cells. Also you don’t always have to rush to a salon to get a pedicure. Get rid of all the accumulated dirt with this lemon foot scrub.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Massage the mix on your feet thoroughly and leave for 15 minutes, then rinse off and pat dry. This mixture scrubs and moisturizes your feet and helps in eliminating the dryness.
- Add ½ cup of lemon juice to a foot tub filled with warm water. Soak your feet in it for 10 to 15 minutes. Gently scrub your feet with a soft foot brush. Wash, pat dry and apply some moisturizer on your feet before putting on a pair of socks. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
9. Strengthens brittle nails
Lemon juice is a good option to strengthen brittle nails. The vitamin C and folic acid in it promote nail growth. It’s bleaching property helps whiten and brighten your nails. Soaking nails in a mixture of diluted lemon juice can harden them and impart natural sheen.
- Before going to bed, soak your nails in fresh lemon juice for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and coat your nails with a light layer of olive or coconut oil. Wear gloves overnight. Repeat this remedy daily for a few weeks.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey and lemon juice in a bowl and apply it with the help of brush on the nails. Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes then wash it away and apply good moisturizer to keep nails protected from dryness.
10. Treats chapped lips
Lemon juice works as an exfoliator and removes any dead skin cells from the lips resulting in softer, smoother and beautiful lips. Use honey along with lemon as honey protects the lips form harmful effects of the free radicals and acts as a great moisturizer.
- Gently rub the inner part of a lemon slice on your lips. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and apply some coconut oil. Repeat once daily.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey along with lemon juice. Also, mix a half tablespoon of castor oil. Apply the mixture over your lips before sleep on a daily basis. Repeat this daily.