10 tips to get rid of headache
Headaches are a very common problem. It is pain in any region of the head. People of all ages get headaches from time to time. It may appear as a sharp pain, a throbbing sensation or a dull ache. They can cause unbearable pain along with nausea and, at times, vomiting.
Headaches may occur on one or both sides of the head, it may be isolated to a certain location, radiate across the head from one point, or have a viselike quality. Common causes of headaches include stress, tension, restlessness, sinus problems, migraines, lack of sleep and dehydration.
You can get instant pain relief using some easy and natural home remedies. Here are top 10 tips to get rid of headaches:
On average we don’t drink enough water daily, and that alone is cause for a headache. Simply drinking water may seem too obvious or simple to actually work as a headache remedy. Coffee, alcohol, sugary drinks-all can dehydrate you and should be avoided. Re-hydrate body to easily get relief from the pain.
- Simply drink a glass of water at the first sign of a headache and continue taking small sips throughout the day.
- Have sports drinks as the electrolytes present in sports drinks can treat headaches caused by tension and dehydration.
2. Ice Pack
Some headaches are caused, at least in part, by expanded blood vessel pressing on nerves. For these, applying cold compress like an ice pack to the area will numb the pain and can constrict those blood vessels and improve circulation to the area. This particular remedy works well for headaches due to stress or sinus problems. It relieves some of the pressure causing the throbbing ache.
- Wrap some ice cubes or crushed ice in a thin towel. Hold it against your forehead for a few minutes. A bag of frozen vegetables can also serve as an icepack. But never apply ice directly on your skin as it can damage the skin.
- Apply a cold cloth on your head and temples for 10 minutes and repeat the process for some time until you get relief.
3. Hot Water
Headaches caused by tension and anxiety can be treated by hot compress. Cold tends to tighten up muscles that then pinch nerves and enlarge blood vessels. So need hot treatment. Applying heat on the back of your neck can relieve headaches caused by stress. Heat relaxes tense muscles, thus alleviating the throbbing pain.
- Simply apply a hot water bag to the back of your neck or take a hot shower directing the water onto the back of your neck.
- Another option is to fill a tub with bearable hot water and put your hands in it for 10 to 15 minutes. This will improve blood circulation and thus give you relief from the headache.
If you suffer from chronic headaches, you can dip your legs in a bucket filled with hot water for 10 minutes before going to bed.
Nuts, especially almonds can be a good alternative to prescription pain relievers. Almonds and other real nuts contain salicin. It’s a substance that’s considered to be a natural pain reliever. In fact, it’s used as one of the ingredients of over-the-counter pain relievers. The salicin in the nut will be converted into salicylic acid, which is also known as the result of aspirin metabolization.
No matter how effective nuts are in alleviating the headache, they tend to be ineffective for migraines. This is because almonds and other types of nuts are considered to be a triggering food for migraines.
Note: People who suffer from migraines may find that almonds are a trigger food.
Lemon is a very effective and powerful ingredient to treat headache because it is refreshing and relaxing. Plus, it helps maintain the acid-alkaline balance in the body.
- Drinking warm water mixed with juice squeezed from one-half of a lemon will reduce the intensity of a headache. This particular remedy is beneficial for headaches caused by gas in the stomach.
- Drink warm water mixed with lemon or drink a steaming cup of lemon tea.
- Apply lemon crusts, pounded into a paste, on your forehead to immediately relieve pain.
6. Apple and apple cider vinegar
Both apples and apple cider vinegar can be used to fight off a headache. They help restore the acid-alkaline balance in the body. Furthermore, simply the smell of green apples can help reduce migraine headaches. If you find yourself coming down with a throbbing headache, try getting some quality ACV time into your day in the form of a steam-style treatment.
- When you wake up in the morning with a headache, eat a piece of apple sprinkled with some salt. Then drink some warm water.
- Fill a large bowl with steaming hot water and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Hold a towel over your head and take in the steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add 2 teaspoons of some apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. You can also add a little honey and lemon juice. Drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
It’s the capsaicin of cayenne that treats the pain on your head, regardless of its type. Capsaicin inhibits a certain substance in your brain that lets you feel the pain. Thus, when that substance is depleted, you won’t feel the pain in the head.
- Mix cayenne powder with warm water. Get a clean, unused swab and soak it in the solution. Make sure that the swab is covered with the powder. Apply it gently to the inside of your nostril.
Note: Don’t use this remedy without first consulting your physician. This is especially true if you have sinusitis. this natural remedy may not be for every sufferer. It is not for those who are allergic to cayenne.
Peppermint has calming and soothing properties that can help treat headaches. This is one of the reasons it’s being used by people who don’t want to take any medications. Peppermint oil is known to ease the discomfort caused by a headache. It can also help to clear your mind.
- You can make an herbal tea by adding 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint to a cup of boiling water. Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add some honey to sweeten it. Sip the tea slowly.
- Use peppermint oil to gently massage your temples, jaw and the back of your neck for instant pain relief.
- Inhaling the soothing aroma of peppermint steam can ease headache as well as accompanying symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting.
Ginger can inhibit the production of prostaglandin. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease headache pain. It also helps relax the blood vessels in the head, reduces swelling in the brain and activates natural opiates in the brain that help lessen the pain. By inhibiting synthesis of prostaglandin when a migraine or headache attacks, the pain is reduced or minimized. Also, ginger also reduces nausea, which often happens during a migraine attack.
- Simply drink ginger tea up to 3 times a day to reduce inflammation in the body and alleviate headache pain. It is important to start at the onset of the headache so the ginger can act quickly.
Headaches, particularly migraines, can be relieved through the use of the feverfew plant. Feverfew has been confirmed to relax the tension/constrict blood vessels, easing the painful pressure. It also reduces inflammation and pain overall with a substance called parthenolide, which has results similar to taking a daily aspirin, but without the side effects. Feverfew relaxes the blood vessels. It calms down your constricted or tensed blood vessels,
- Prepare fresh or dried feverfew flowers. Boil a pint of water. Add the flowers and steep there for 10 minutes. Strain it and drink half a cup as needed
The taste is bitter. Some users reported to experience irritation in their mouth. Hence, naturopathic experts recommend getting a freeze dried capsules of feverfew.
Note: When you’re taking aspirin, it’s best not to take them both at the same time.