Skin tags or medically known as papilloma are considered benign growth that is usually found on the face, neck, armpits, nose, chest and even the inner thighs. It is characterized by small, mole-like skin mass, but according to medical professional, this condition is harmless. It is neither a serious ailment nor a symptom that can be associated with a serious health ailment. It’s just that, skin tags can be pretty outrageous to look at especially if there are many of them in human skin. The fact is a skin tag can be removed even without the intervention of a medical professional.
Skin tags are caused due to the accumulation of blood vessels and collagen in the thicker parts of the skin. This is mainly caused due to the rubbing of skin, which mainly occurs in skin folds and creases. Skin tags are mostly caused to people, who suffer from:
- In pregnant women, due to hormonal changes
- Human papilloma virus
- Excess use of steroids
- Scratches due to shaving, jewelries and clothing
There are some home remedies that were found to be very effective in removing these skin tags.
1. Castor Oil
This oil helps dissolve and eliminate unusual skin growths without leaving a scar. It is loaded with many nutrients that help keep your skin healthy.
- Rub some castor oil on your skin tags several times a day. Repeat this until you get desired result.
- Mix two parts castor oil with one part baking soda. Apply this paste on the skin tag. Cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with warm water. Repeat daily for about two weeks.
Garlic is found to be very effective in removing skin tags. It is believed that the enzymes present in garlic help shrink skin tags naturally. Garlic has a hot element in it that is found to be effective in reducing the size of the skin tag.
- Crush a few garlic cloves to make a paste. Apply this paste on the skin tags. Cover it with a bandage and leave it on overnight. Wash the area with warm water in the morning. Repeat daily for a few days until the skin tag comes off.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Being very acidic in nature, tea tree oil is also a good remedy for skin tags. This oil will dry out the skin tag and gradually it will fall off on its own without any pain. Plus, the antiseptic property of tea tree oil will protect the skin after the tag has been removed.
- Dip a cotton ball in water and squeeze out the excess water. Put three or four drops of tea tree oil on the wet cotton ball. Rub the cotton ball over the skin tag, massaging gently in circular motions. Leave it on for a few hours before washing it off. Repeat this three times daily for a few weeks or until the skin tag vanishes.
Note: If you have very sensitive skin, make sure to dilute the tea tree oil with an equal amount of water before application.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has this strong acidic component that is found to be very effective in removing skin tags. The acid in apple cider vinegar breaks down the excess cells in the skin tag and naturally removes them.
- Dip a cotton swab in apple cider vinegar and apply it directly on the skin tag. There will be a stinging sensation for a few minutes that will soon stop. Leave it on for three or four hours, then wash it off with warm water. Follow this remedy at least three times daily for two to four weeks to eliminate the tags.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, dilute the apple cider vinegar with a little water before applying it. To avoid scarring, apply olive oil or vitamin E oil on the affected area on a regular basis.
5. Vitamin E oil
Vitamin E oil is known for its antioxidant properties and skin regeneration potential. This is why vitamin E oil is considered one of the best treatments for removing skin tags.
- Break open a vitamin E capsule to extract the pure oil. Apply a thin layer of the oil on the skin tag. Cover the area with a bandage and leave it on overnight. The next morning, reapply vitamin E oil and apply a new bandage. Again before going to bed, reapply. Repeat this daily for 15 days.
Aspirin too can be used for treating skin tags. Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid, which helps in shrinking and drying the skin tag and finally removing it completely from the skin. Aspirin will help eliminate the bacteria that trigger the growth of skin tags.
- Take an aspirin tablet and crush it to form a powder. Apply this powder on the skin tag and seal with a duct tape or a band aid.
7. Banana Peel
Banana peel is another effective remedy for skin tags due to its strong antioxidant properties. The enzymes present in the banana peel help dissolve the tags naturally.
- Cut a small piece of banana peel and place the inside part of it over the tag. Wrap a bandage over the peel and leave it on overnight. The next morning, remove the peel and wash the area with water. Repeat every night for a few days until your skin tag drops off.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is used to treat many skin problems including skin tags due to its amazing healing properties. It is known for its anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties that can be very effective in treating skin tags.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the skin tag. Massage gently in a circular motion for a few seconds. Allow the gel to be completely absorbed into the skin. Repeat at least three times daily for two weeks.
9. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a mild exfoliant and helps in removing moles and skin tags as well. Applying baking soda on the affected area is also effective. It may take several days, but it is absolutely painless. Little by little, the skin tags wears off your skin for good.
- Mix adequate amounts if baking soda with some warm water to form a paste. Apply on the skin tag and rub gently. Repeat the procedure several times a day and continue until the skin tag dries and falls off.
10. Nail Polish
Believe it or not, but nail polishes can also help get rid of skin tags. All you have to do is coat each skin tag with the nail polish daily. This theory has to do with not allowing the oxygen to get into the skin tag, not allowing it to grow further or even suffocating it until it disappears.