Healthy-looking hair is not only physically attractive, but also confident of themselves and comfortable in their own skin. Essential oils are effective in assisting hair growth, and are sure to bless you with naturally thicker hair in no time. Essential oils have been used since antiquity for their medicinal and therapeutic properties. Unlike ordinary vegetable oils, essential oils are highly concentrated and potent oils. They are extracted or distilled from various parts of plants and trees, such as flowers, fruits, leaves, stem, roots or bark.
The gentle power of these plant extracts can work wonders on your hair and scalp. These aromatic oils penetrate deeply into hair shaft and follicles and help produce healthy, shiny hair. Some oils can be extremely helpful to soothe dry, irritated scalp. Other essential oils influence the sebaceous glands and can normalize their function.
Here are 10 essential oils that are great for all kinds of hairs:
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is versatile enough to be used on all types of hair. It is balancing, soothing, regenerative, anti-inflammatory and stress reducing. It contains anti-bacterial agents that help get rid of scalp infections. It can soothe irritation, dryness, itchiness and dandruff. Lavender is a relaxing scent and daily use can help reduce stress and tension. Extreme stress has been known to cause hair loss. Like other essential oils for thicker hair, a scalp massage with lavender helps invigorate the scalp. A healthy, invigorated scalp generally has better blood circulation, which leads to healthier hair growth
- Place a few springs of lavender in a glass container, cover it with extra virgin olive oil, and tightly shut the container. Leave this in a cool, dark spot for 3-4 weeks, and then use this lavender-infused oil to massage your scalp. Leave it on overnight, and wash off the next morning using a mild herbal shampoo.
2. Almond Oil
Almond oil is excellent for dry hair. Almond oil contains all kinds of healthy ingredients for hair like Omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids, vitamin E and magnesium. Using almond oil nourishes and strengthens your hair, and is optimal for treating hair loss and damaged hair. It helps your hair grows healthy, shiny and split end free.
- Warm some almond oil, and apply this to your hair regularly. Be sure to rub it on your scalp, massaging slowly, as this will help the oil glands in your scalp to produce more oil.
- Heat a small amount of almond oil and apply it on your hair, leaving it on for half an hour. Wash off. Repeat it thrice a week and your hair start regaining luster.
3. Lemon Oil
Lemon oil is best for dry hair to get lustrous locks. It stimulates the oil glands to produce more oil, resulting in smoother and shinier hair than ever before. Added to all these qualities is the fact that this oil will get rid of all your dandruff-related problems, and also prevent head lice permanently. It stimulates hair growth besides strengthening the hair follicles.
- After shampooing your hair, add four drops of lemon essential oil to wet hands, apply thoroughly on your hair, and rinse.
Note: Being a citrus oil, it increases the photo-sensitivity of your hair, so protect it from the harsh glare of the sun at all times in order to prevent bleaching or burning.
4. Carrot Oil
Carrot root oil is excellent tonic oil for the skin, the rich golden oil of carrot seed is also highly nutritive to your hair which creates luscious, healthy locks. It is a rich source of carotene and antioxidants, and is thus equipped to perform the dual task of hair growth and skin renewal. The essential oil is distilled mainly from the seed of wild carrots. Carrot seed is highly regarded for its nourishing, detoxifying and hormone regulating qualities.
- It can be used directly as an extract, or diluted in jojoba oil in order to make a solution. Massage carrot oil into your scalp and hair. Keep it for at least one hour and wash off with mild shampoo.
Note: Carrot oil is extremely potent, so be sure to use a very small amount each time.
5. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary is a great all around oil. It is perfect for promoting hair growth because it increases circulation to the scalp while stimulating cellular metabolism. This increased circulation improves blood and nutrient flow to hair follicles and boosts growth significantly. It is used to treat lack luster hair, dandruff, oily skin and more. It is an excellent brain tonic as it refreshes and clears the mind. It may also help you maintain your natural hair color and preventing graying, plus it reduces dry scalp and hair.
- One great way to delay graying is to simmer a handful of rosemary leaves in water, and rinse your hair with it while taking a shower. Do this daily, as it’s great for your dark hair.
- Add a few drops of rosemary oil to olive oil, and massage this mixture onto your scalp. Rinse it later on. Do this regularly for thicker hair.
6. Cypress Oil
Cypress oil is great not only for alopecia, but is also immensely effective in clearing an oily scalp. Using it you are sure to notice a sea change in the quality of your hair in a very short time. It increases circulation and capillary strength. It is important to have good blood circulation to the follicles for optimal hair growth. Use no more than 0.5 – 1% at a time.
- One of the best ways to use it is to mix it with sage, lavender or rosemary oil, to make an excellent mixture that is sure to speed up hair growth.
- You can also be mixed in your hair conditioner every time you wash your hair. Mix not more than one or two drops at a time, and apply the conditioner as you normally would after shampooing your hair.
7. Bergamot Oil
This is a great essential oil for hair loss and other related problems. Bergamot oil increases the photo-sensitivity of the area it has been applied to, so ensure that your hair is well-protected from direct exposure to sunlight at all times. It improves the circulation of blood throughout the scalp, which ensures proper delivery of nutrients to the cells and facilitates the overall system to function at the optimum level. As the hair roots get stimulated by the oil, the hair fibers become nourished and start to grow significantly.
- Apply it directly and on a regular basis to see an improvement in the quality of your hair. You can mix it with a few drops each of castor oil and coconut oil to make your own tonic.
- It is blessed with pH balancing properties, so you can mix one or two drops in your conditioner every time you wash your hair.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is rich in carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals which are good for the human body. It is a soothing, super-moisturizing essential oil that contains ingredients to help protect, nourish and moisturize hair, plus it is anti-fungal and antibacterial. Coconut oil rich in lauric acid, has a high affinity for hair protein, and easily penetrates inside the hair shaft, which protects hair roots and helps prevent breakage. It helps to reduce protein loss in both damaged as well as undamaged hair. It keep the hair strong, nourished and protected from the effects of premature aging, like baldness and excessive hair loss. Also, it protects the scalp against dryness, dandruff and even lice.
Applied to the outside of hair strands, the vitamin E, vitamin K and iron in coconut oil moisturize and improve shine. Coconut oil absorbs easily into the hair shaft so it is an ideal ingredient in deep conditioner. It can be used for pre-wash or post-wash hair grooming.
9. Chamomile Oil
Chamomile is an excellent calming and relaxing oil. Chamomile oil soothes detoxes and conditions the scalp, helping to prevent dandruff as well as dry, brittle hair. These qualities make it a great addition to your hair regimen for increased hair growth. Chamomile is often added to anti-lice shampoo so consider the oil as natural alternative to harsh chemical treatments for mites and lice. It has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-itching and anti-allergenic qualities. It helps treat dry scaly scalp, dandruff, eczema, and scalp acne. This wonderful oil adds beautiful golden highlights to blonde hair and sheen to dark hair. It also conditions the hair and greatly improves its softness and luster.
10. Castor Oil
Castor oil is good if you’re looking for an essential oil that is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It absorbs easily into the skin to clear the scalp of bacteria and irritants. The ricinoleic acid and omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids in castor oil moisturize hair and scalp to reduce dandruff. Ricinoleic acid is also said to help balance scalp pH which can also help replenish the scalp’s natural oils and undo some of the damage of harsh chemical hair products. The antioxidants in castor oil also support the keratin in hair and help make hair stronger, smoother and less frizzy.
Try a scalp massage with castor oil to help clear pores and improve circulation to create a better scalp environment for hair growth.