Joint pain is a very common medical condition that occurs due to constant wear and tear of the joint especially in the knee. It can be experienced by older adults, young adults and children. Women are more vulnerable to knee pain than men.
Joint pain can be caused by a number of issues, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, bursitis, tendinitis or a strain, sprain or other injury affecting the ligaments, bursa or tendons surrounding a joint.
It can occur in any part of the body but is most common in the knees, shoulders and hips. The pain can range from mild to severe and may be accompanied by swelling and stiffness in one or more joints. Severe joint pain, especially when caused by degenerative conditions like arthritis, needs proper diagnosis and treatment.
You should consult your doctor if your joint pain is accompanied by swelling, redness and tenderness, or lasts for more than three days. You can get rid of mild joint pain with the help of natural home remedies. But talk to your doctor before including either of these remedies in your regular routine.
Massage therapy helps relieve joint pain by improving circulation and soothing inflammation. Regular massage can improve pain, stiffness and range of motion in the affected joint. To massage the affected area, use warm oil like coconut, olive, mustard, castor or garlic oil and apply gentle pressure while massaging.
Massaging with mustard oil is considered excellent for getting rid of arthritis pain and inflammation. The oil works as a natural ointment and stimulates blood flow.
- Heat some mustard oil until it is slightly warm. If there is swelling, you can mix an equal amount of onion juice, too. Rub it gently over the painful joint. Then cover the joint with plastic wrap and apply warm towels. Repeat this remedy daily before going to bed for best results.
- Use a small amount of eucalyptus oil (helps with inflammation). Or, mix wintergreen oil and eucalyptus oil together and rub it on the joint. For this remedy, you do not need to apply hot compresses.
2. Hot and cold compression
Heat is relaxing. Stiff, tense, and sore muscles can be relaxed and relieved with a little heat, and same for the joints affected by arthritis pain. Not only does heat relax muscles, it also stimulates blood flow and improves circulation, helps increases range of motion, and reduces stiffness in painful joints. But never apply heat to a joint that is already hot, red, and irritated.
When joint pain causes a sensation of burning, cool it off with cold therapy. Applying an ice pack or even a bag of frozen vegetables can help to numb areas affected by joint pain. Cold therapy can reduce inflammation, a major cause of arthritis joint pain and stiffness. Placing a cold pack on a swollen joint can also help bring it back down to size, which will also lessen joint pain. But apply cold to a joint that’s stiff and not moving well.
Both hot and/or cold compression is beneficial in case of joint pain. Heat helps muscles relax; cold helps to minimize inflammation and pain.
Turmeric is an excellent natural remedy for joint pain. It contains an active ingredient called curcumin with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help to reduce pain. Curcumin was as effective as ibuprofen for pain relief in patients with knee osteoarthritis. It may slow the progression of rheumatoid arthritis, one of the main causes of knee pain.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little honey in a glass of warm milk. Drink it daily, at least for a few days.
- Another option is to take 250 to 500 mg turmeric capsules three times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Note: Turmeric may interfere with certain medications, such as blood thinners, and may worsen gallbladder problems.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also helpful in reducing knee pain. Due to its alkalizing effect, It helps dissolve mineral build-ups and harmful toxins within the joint and connective tissues. It also helps restore joint lubricants to help reduce pain and promote mobility. Also it is rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- Massage the affected area with a mixture of one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Do this daily until your joint pain is gone.
- Add two cups of apple cider vinegar to a bath tub of hot water. Soak the affected knee in the water for 30 minutes. Do this once daily for a few days.
- Mix one to three teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar and a little honey in a cup of warm water. Drink this solution two or three times a day, preferably before meals.
5. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that works like a pain reliever. Capsaicin’s natural analgesic or pain-relieving properties produce a warm sensation and reduce pain in the affected knee.
- Prepare a mixture by adding two tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder in one-half cup of warm olive oil. Apply this paste on the affected area twice daily for at least one week.
- You can also mix one-quarter or one-half teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder in one cup of apple cider vinegar. Soak a clean washcloth in this solution and apply it on the aching area for about 20 minutes once or twice daily until the pain and inflammation is reduced.
- You can even apply a gel containing 0.0125 percent capsaicin topically to reduce knee pain.
Note: Cayenne may initially cause a burning sensation. Do not apply it on open skin or wounds.
Ginger is an excellent natural remedy for muscle strain or injury and joint pain. Its effectiveness comes from the presence of anti-inflammatory compounds in it. Ginger can reduce swelling on the knee as well as the pain.
- Crush a small piece of fresh ginger root, add to one cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Strain and add a little honey and lemon juice. Drink two to three cups of this ginger tea daily until the pain is gone.
- Massage the affected knee with ginger oil two or three times a day until you are satisfied with the results.
- Eating raw ginger on a regular basis can help to alleviate pain by improving blood circulation. Simply peel and slice fresh ginger and eat it along with each meal.
Lemon has also been found beneficial as a home remedy for knee pain caused by arthritis. The citric acid found in lemon works as a solvent for uric acid crystals, which is the cause of some types of arthritis. Lemon peel is also equally beneficial. The essential oils found in lemon peel have been shown to reduce joint pain, by relaxing the blood vessels and producing an anti-inflammatory effect that significantly reduces painful sensations.
- Cut one or two lemons into small pieces. Tie the pieces in a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil. Place the cloth on the affected knee for five to 10 minutes. Do this twice daily until the pain is gone completely.
- Drink the juice of half lemon diluted in a glass of warm water early in the morning on an empty stomach is also beneficial.
- Place the lemon peels in a jar and add enough olive oil to cover them completely. Add the eucalyptus leaves. Close the jar tightly and let this mixture sit for two weeks. After two weeks, add a little of this remedy to some gauze and place it over the painful area. Massage properly and let the oil soak by skin.
8. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a good source of magnesium that helps regulate the pH levels in the body. It is essential to balance the pH levels because certain inflammatory diseases such as arthritis are caused by high acidity levels in the body. Magnesium works as a natural muscle relaxant that helps remove excess fluid from the tissues, in turn reducing inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Mix Epsom salt and fresh lemon juice in equal amounts to half a cup of warm water. Swallow one teaspoon of the mixture twice daily, one in the morning and one at night.
- You can also add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water and soak affected joint or knee in it. Do this a few times a week until you get complete relief from the pain.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for those suffering from heart problems, high blood pressure or diabetes.
Cinnamon can be used to relieve arthritis pain due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Cinnamon can be combined with other natural ingredients to boost its healing properties.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Do this daily for several days.
- Make a paste of cinnamon and honey and massage it gently on the painful area.
Fenugreek is a popular home remedy for joint pain due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis. Fenugreek seeds are warm in nature and considered very beneficial for those suffering from knee pain due to arthritis.
- Swallow one teaspoon of finely ground fenugreek seeds followed by a glass of lukewarm water. Do this daily in the morning until you get positive results.
- Simply soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and eat them the next morning.
- Mix two teaspoons of this powder and add enough water to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the affected knee area. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Use this remedy twice daily for a week.