Besides its extensive culinary usage, garlic have great medicinal value. It is still renowned across the world for its remarkable ability to fight numerous diseases and conditions. Garlic is a very common ingredient used in kitchen because of its pungent taste and smell. It might not be your first choice when it comes to consume. It can be consumed raw or in the form of juice, powder or capsule.
Garlic is rich in allicin, sulphur, zinc, calcium and selenium which is why it’s anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory in nature that makes it natural healing agent as well. Beside these, it is rich in anti-oxidants as well. It provides benefits ranging from acne free bright and healthy skin to thick, lustrous hair.
Here are some health and beauty benefits of garlic.
1. Fights Skin Infections
Garlic, known for its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, fights many skin conditions like psoriasis, athlete’s foot, ringworm, warts, corn, etc. Garlic has ability to ward off skin cancer, owing to its high concentration of phytochemicals
- Sprinkle a few drops of mildly heated garlic oil on a cotton pad and rub it on the affected areas of your skin. Repeat the application two to three times a day.
2. Treat acne
Garlic is chock-full of essential nutrients and antioxidants known for their acne-combating benefits. It is a natural remedy for blemishes and acne. It has antioxidants which kill bacteria. Also, garlic being an anti-inflammatory agent also helps soothe inflamed skin caused by acne.
- Rub a sliced clove of garlic on the pimple for an effective topical treatment.
3. Control hair loss and promotes hair growth
The presence of allicin which is a sulfur compound similar to the one found in onions, garlic makes it a perfect remedy for hair loss. It also prevents breakage and strengthens hair roots. It helps in decreasing hair fall, boosts regeneration of new hair follicles, removes harmful toxins from the scalp, enhances hair texture, and reinforces the hair roots. Study found garlic to be useful in the treatment of alopecia areata, a form of recurrent hair loss condition.
- Rubbing slices of garlic cloves on your scalp increases the blood circulation and help you get rid of hair fall.
- Soak some garlic pods in olive oil for a week. Warm up slightly and apply it to your hair and scalp. Leave it on overnight. Wash it off the next day with a mild shampoo.
4. Remove dandruff
Dandruff is a very common problem. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of garlic work well to treat the itchy scalp and excessive dandruff. It also contains sulfur that helps calm inflamed and irritated skin, thus providing relief from the signature itchiness caused by dandruff.
- Warm up the garlic oil lightly and apply it generously on your scalp. Leave it on overnight. Wash it off with a mild shampoo the following day.
Garlic can be helpful even for psoriasis. The anti-inflammatory action of garlic will help in reducing the rash and giving a smooth skin. It also inhibits the activity of an enzyme called lipoxygenase, which is responsible for causing the inflammation in patients with psoriasis.
- Apply garlic oil on the affected portion of the skin for smooth, rash-free skin. Apply it 2-3 times a day.
6. Cold sores
A popular cold sore home remedy is using garlic. Cold sores are caused by Herpes 1 virus. Garlic being an anti-viral has been found to treat cold sores effectually. Its natural anti-inflammatory properties could help reduce pain and swelling.
- Apply oil of crushed garlic cloves on the affected area for a few days until you get rid of them.
- Garlic supplements may also speed up the healing process.
As garlic is a power pack of antioxidants, it fights the free radicals in the skin and keeps skin firm and younger. Garlic will help in taking care of the wrinkles and pre-mature fine lines appearing on the face It also contains sulphur, which helps the body to produce collagen which in turn helps in fighting wrinkles. The presence of nutrients like zinc, selenium and vitamin C is beneficial against UV radiation as well.
- Prepare juice of crushed garlic cloves and add it into your regular facemask to prevent premature ageing.
- Include raw garlic in the diet for it to work.
8. Blackhead and Whitehead Removal
One of the most common skin problems is blackheads. Their occurrence is particularly very high when you have oily skin. Garlic is antiseptic and contains sulfur which will aid healing. It helps to reduce both blackheads and whiteheads.
- Cut a fresh garlic clove in half or mash it to create a paste. Rub the sticky juice directly onto the blackhead and allow it to work its way into the black plug for about five minutes. Then wash the blackhead and garlic off with warm water.
- Add a few drops of garlic juice in the homemade scrub made out of chickpea flour and turmeric. Apply it 2-3 times a week.
9. Pore Minimization
Enlarged pores are a common problem in ageing skin. Garlic also contains a large number of skin-protective polyphenols that helps to minimize the skin pores. It has antiseptic qualities that help in unclogging the skin, minimizes pores and tightens the skin, and dries out excess oil to prevent infection.
- Crush some garlic pods and add the juice into your regular face masks
- Mash together half a tomato and 3-4 pods of garlic and spread a thin layer of the paste onto your face. After 20 minutes, wash your face with lukewarm water and seal your pores with a final splash of cold water. Tomato and garlic both
10. Stretch Mark Removal
Stretch marks are known to reduce and vanish if you use garlic. Hot oil massage is one of the most commonly suggested home remedy for this problem. It tone them down a bit and helps scars to fade naturally without harsh chemicals or treatments.
- Add juice from crushed garlic pods in the hot oil that you use. Use this oil regularly on your stretch marks and you will notice the difference in a few weeks. Instead of using garlic juice, you can also use garlic oil. Do take care not to add more than half tsp. of garlic oil.
- Increase consumption of garlic in your diet as the allicin and sulphur in garlic are known to increase the elasticity of the skin which prevents the stretch marks from occurring
11. Healthy nails
The benefits of garlic are not only restricted to skin and hair. Garlic can also help you in getting rid of dull and brittle nails. As it has anti-bacterial properties, it also helps in preventing any kind of cuticle infection. Nails easily get exposed to the infection resulting in dull and yellow stained nails. The anti-fungal nature of garlic not only prevents, but also protects nails from catching infection.
- Add a few drops of garlic oil or garlic juice in your regular cuticle cream or lotion to reap the benefits garlic has to offer whenever you apply these to your nails.
- Soak a cotton ball into crushed garlic cloves juice and rub against cuticles.
- Add few crushed garlic clove in your regular nail polish and apply it. It is easiest way to provide garlic nutrients to your nails.